Re: [carfree_cities] Book partially online: "Life Between Buildings"

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2002
      The pictures you pointed out are pictures of the streets now known as
      Stroeget, a large cluster of streets which are pedestrian only. I grew up
      initially in Denmark and now live in Canada. The wonderful atmostphere of
      Stroeget was the seed to my current car-free feelings, and a place my heart
      still longs for.

      No visit I make to Denmark has ever been made without a visit. I have always
      loved taking the S-train down to the main station, dodging the trafic which
      invades the area around the main station, crossing the courtyard of city
      hall, and then finally into the safety and chaotic wandering of people on
      what the danes call the 'Walk-Street'. The walk down these streets takes one
      past a bustle of activity from the small stores lining the street, the
      street-side vendors, the buskers and the small cafes. Continuing on, one
      walks past the University of Copenhagen buildings, through Joerck's Passage,
      past an old church (name escapes me at the moment) where people sit and play
      chess. Then up the more commercial branch of the street ending at yet
      another S-train station for the ride home. I have been fortunate in seeing
      many interesting buskers on my tours, including the member of the royal
      philharmonic who plays occasionally as a sort of cultural infussion, to a
      hilarious pair of jugglers (The Sneaker Brothers Sideshow) who was on the
      BBC just a few days after I had enjoyed them.

      Anyways, enough of me blathering, but I thought I should add a little
      personal side to the pictures. If I could I would live down there, but
      unfortunately there aren't many residences in the area and they are very
      very expensive.

      Henning