Book partially online: "Life Between Buildings"

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2002
      5 chapters of the book "Life Between Buildings: Using Public Space",
      reviewed in Carfree Times issue 17, are online at:

      http://www.rudi.net/bookshelf/classics/lifebetweenbuildings/index.shtml

      The book appeared in Danish in 1971; this is the English edition of 1987.

      There are a number of other interesting publications on the site
      (rudi.net), some available with a free registration. The following
      page, from a later book by the same author, is particularly
      interesting. It shows the same space at four different times in the
      last 120 years, showing its transformation from a pedestrian space to
      a car-dominated one, and back again:

      http://www.rudi.net/bookshelf/books/new_city_spaces/pages/chapter1/b.shtml

      -Erik Rauch
    • Henning Mortensen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2002
        The pictures you pointed out are pictures of the streets now known as
        Stroeget, a large cluster of streets which are pedestrian only. I grew up
        initially in Denmark and now live in Canada. The wonderful atmostphere of
        Stroeget was the seed to my current car-free feelings, and a place my heart
        still longs for.

        No visit I make to Denmark has ever been made without a visit. I have always
        loved taking the S-train down to the main station, dodging the trafic which
        invades the area around the main station, crossing the courtyard of city
        hall, and then finally into the safety and chaotic wandering of people on
        what the danes call the 'Walk-Street'. The walk down these streets takes one
        past a bustle of activity from the small stores lining the street, the
        street-side vendors, the buskers and the small cafes. Continuing on, one
        walks past the University of Copenhagen buildings, through Joerck's Passage,
        past an old church (name escapes me at the moment) where people sit and play
        chess. Then up the more commercial branch of the street ending at yet
        another S-train station for the ride home. I have been fortunate in seeing
        many interesting buskers on my tours, including the member of the royal
        philharmonic who plays occasionally as a sort of cultural infussion, to a
        hilarious pair of jugglers (The Sneaker Brothers Sideshow) who was on the
        BBC just a few days after I had enjoyed them.

        Anyways, enough of me blathering, but I thought I should add a little
        personal side to the pictures. If I could I would live down there, but
        unfortunately there aren't many residences in the area and they are very
        very expensive.

        Henning