City Design site

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2002
      Hi All,

      The first thread (of five) on the City Design site at
      Carfree.com is now on line (it's a draft, however):

      http://www.carfree.com/design/index.html

      Have a look when you've got a minute; please let me
      have your comments/criticisms/corrections off list.

      Thanks & enjoy!

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2002
        Hi All,

        The fourth (of five) threads on the City Design site is
        now available in draft form, at:

        http://www.carfree.com/design/index.html

        Comments/corrections/suggestions?

        How do you like the new page design, with with pages and black
        text, instead of black pages with white text?

        Comments are probably best sent off-list to the mailbox@ address.

        Thanks & enjoy,

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
          Hi All,

          The complete first draft of the city design site is now
          on line at:

          http://www.carfree.com/design/index.html

          Comments & corrections off list at the mailbox@ address,
          if you please.

          Thanks & enjoy,

          -- ### --

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... Carfree.com
        • T. J. Binkley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
            Hi Joel,

            I'm really enjoying wandering around the City Design site. What a
            tremendous resource you're creating.

            Under the image of Louvain, Le Vieux Marché
            (http://www.carfree.com/design/sqmk100.html), you asked:

            >...Notice that the ground floors are all a dark color, whereas most of
            the upper stories are light colored. Does anyone know why this is?

            To better showcase storefront merchandise (or cafe patrons).

            Think of evening "window shopping", when the street is dark, and the stores
            remain lit, drawing the eyes deep inside. The building disappears---all
            eyes are on the contents within.

            A similar effect is approximated by using dark colors around storefront
            windows: Where bright/light colors would create a stronger visual
            separation between the street and the inside of the store (especially under
            bright, glare-inducing sunlight), a dark frame draws you in. The shade of
            awnings and arcades has a similar (delightful) effect.

            Paris, L'Opera http://www.carfree.com/design/sqlg140.html

            >Does anyone know why there is a broad staircase leading into the ground?
            I think this photograph was probably taken before the construction of the
            Paris Metro. It might lead to public bathrooms. If it's neither of these,
            then I'm baffled.

            I can't explain the lack of cars in the photo, but this in fact the
            Metro. I walked up those stairs and leaned on that railing for quite some
            time when I visited Paris in '95. What a magnificent facade!

            Sadly, this really isn't a square at all, but rather a huge, major
            intersection, approached by streets from seven directions, with two
            (not-so-circular) traffic circles helping direct all the cars. The other
            traffic "circle", also a Metro entrance, is behind the photographer, on the
            other side of the boulevard that roars through the middle of this "place".

            Contemporary photos:
            http://www.guardian.co.uk/gallery/galleryguide/0,6143,334484,00.html
            (scroll down)
            http://www.mike-reed.com/images/Travel%20Journal/France/021%20-%20Opera%20House%20-%20Paris,%20France%20-%20exterior.JPG

            Old photo showing the place without the metro entrance, as construction on
            the Opera neared completion:
            http://www.frenchculture.org/art/events/delmaet-durandelle.html

            Milan, Piazza Duomo http://www.carfree.com/design/sqlg230.html

            >The contemporary photographs I have seen imply that the trams have been
            relocated and that the area is entirely given over to pedestrians. If
            anyone knows for sure, please advise.

            According to these tourist photos (Google Image search), it's mostly given
            over to humans. Still some cars, alas:

            http://www.desbnet.co.uk/images/Mil_Piazza_Duomo.jpg
            http://www.tropicalisland.de/MIL_Milano_Galleria_Vittorio_Emanuele_and_Piazza_del_Duomo.jpg
            http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/?s=C&showpic=/p/.99723/t-1195-0-6083.jpg&mn=MATIM&pn=Milan