Re: [carfree_cities] Re: An Argument for Fee-based Roads

  • T. J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2002
      At 09:23 AM 4/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:

      >TJ asked:
      >
      > >>...or use public transport.
      > >>We give them an unlimited pass for public transport. That
      > >>would cause things to change, fast!
      >
      > >Exactly what would this change?
      >
      >If bureaucrats and politicians had to use public transport
      >(along with the rich), you can be sure the system would
      >be kept in good shape. And there wouldn't be lots of
      >obnoxious advertising (covering the windows, no less!).

      The trouble is that bureaucrats and politicians don't have to use public
      transport. Free passes are unlikely to win many bureaucrat bus riders. A
      case could be made that transit authorities should be required to use the
      systems they manage an some kind of regular basis. Who would be in the
      best position to create such a policy change?

      -T.J.