Encouragement of folding bikes on Transit systems

  • billt44hk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      Some time ago I spotted a story about the president(?) of the Chicago
      Transit Authority(?) experimenting with folding bikes on his subway
      system and toting a Brompton in an effort to encourage his
      passengers to do likewise. Anyone hear of any developments/feedback
      from this?

      What i like about the story is the persuasion by example which I seem
      to hear about more with public servants in the USA, - cycling mayors,
      etc.Maybe its just their PR/ bullshit is better.

      I've just received a copy of Sustrans Supporters Review 2001 which
      has a message from John Spellar, the Minister for Transport, where he
      writes "my aim is to see cycling brought more fully into the
      mainstream of transport provision." He talks about sustrans
      work "bringing about fundamental changes in travel patterns and
      culture". Oh that it were true. It would be nice to hear that he is
      sometimes seen on a bike?

      Bill Telfer