Re: An Argument for Fee-based Roads (long)

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 2, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "smithjeff11" <smithjeff11@y...> wrote:
      > I don't believe that any one perspective is
      > sufficient to explain the bizarre situation
      > American society find itself in, but economics
      > might explain a few things .. Economics won't
      > explain the love affair that America has with
      > the car.

      I agree completely. The economic factors and
      cultural factors interact. It is important to
      keep both in mind. Economic factors have the
      advantage that they are more readily quantified,
      we understand more about their cause and effect,
      they provide a basis for understanding who
      benefits and who pays, and so they give more
      leverage for making policy. But I agree that
      we should work on cultural factors also.
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 8, 2002
        Louis-Luc said:

        >It's relative...
        >Knowing there is an environment spoiled with cars, and
        >an underground city filled with life (Montreal Underground Network), I
        >prefer the subway way over the
        >bus, because you can ride it and walk through the underground city for hours
        >(or repetedly for days), without knowing cars even exist.
        >
        >However, in a city with no car, or where car drivers yield to human-powered
        >traffic both in theory and 100% in practice, then streetcars or buses become
        >much more attractive, because you don't have the stress of walking through
        >car traffic when you ride them and walk in the city.

        I'm with you up to this point.

        >The ideal is a monorail:
        >- it runs in the air (over street level) NONONONONONO!!!!!
        >- it frees the street for human uses true
        >- when you ride it, you see outdoors, true, but not at eye-level
        >but I think it's more vulnerable to the weather than a metro. probably so

        We've had more than enough experience with elevated transport systems to
        decide right now never to build another one of the damn things. It's
        true that newer technology is better in this respect than older stuff,
        but it will never be acceptable. (Well, ok, some breakthrough in materials
        that allowed the construction of spider-web thin supports for the tracks
        (or whatever) might change the picture somewhat, but it still is not
        the right way to do it. If you need above-ground transport, trams are
        the way to go. If there's too much traffic from the trams to be acceptable,
        then you HAVE to build a metro, no matter what the cost. If there's that
        much traffic, the cost is not unreasonable (per rider).)

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com