Article needed

  • carfreecrawford
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 4:15 AM
      I received the following comment regarding Carfree.com
      in this morning's mail:

      I love the carfree idea but in the US a tolerance of crime would stop
      the idea from working well. I've lived in LA and know that I'd be
      dead without my car for basic protection. Those who walk have little
      safety. In Baltimore I stayed in a high hotel and watched below as
      people in the poor dangerous side of town feared to walk the
      sidewalks, they walked in the streets among the cars to avoid being
      mugged. Others ran at a moderate speed on the sidewalks since
      stopping meant to be approached by a dangerous street-person. I see
      dropping the population of the earth as a more reasonable solution. A
      friend of mine lives in a small town with fewer cars. Everyone parks
      and walks...the big overpopulated per square mile city thing is what
      gets to me.
      Thanks for an interesting read,

      Would anyone like to write a short article for Carfree Times
      that addresses this issue? I'm swamped at the moment. It
      wouldn't run until the July issue, as May is pretty well full.

      Regards,
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 7:14 PM
        In a message sent Today, carfreecrawford wrote:

        ->
        -> I received the following comment regarding Carfree.com
        -> in this morning's mail:
        ->
        -> I love the carfree idea but in the US a tolerance of crime would stop
        -> the idea from working well. I've lived in LA and know that I'd be
        -> dead without my car for basic protection. Those who walk have little
        -> safety.

        For the dedicated soul who decides to undertake this:

        In the US, for the year 2000, The National Highway Traffic Safety
        Administration reports:

        1. 15.2 fatalities in traffic crashes per 100,000 population

        2. 1,170 injuries in crashes per 100,000 population

        For the same year, the Bureau of Justice Statistics reports:

        1. 6 homicides per 100,000 population

        2. A combined total of 600 (a) assaults resulting in injury,
        (b) rapes and sexual assaults, and (c) robberies per 100,000
        population (there may be overlap here)

        Of course, some portion of those crimes took place in cars, and many of
        them were dependent upon cars for preparation, commission and/or
        perpetrator getaway.

        -Doug

        ---
        "In the province of the mind,
        what is believed to be true
        either is true or becomes true,
        subject to further experimentation."

        -John C. Lily
      • dearleb
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 7:31 PM
          As generalizations, the most common denominator of street crime is
          that the victim is isolated. In places with high pedestrian density,
          there is a risk of pickpocketing but muggings and violent crime are
          all but unknown. In most American cities, at most times of the day,
          the pedestrian on the sidewalk is very isolated, and thus vulnerable.
          The modern urban paradigm, spawned in L.A. but copied throughout the
          country, makes this the norm.
          Add to that the tolerance of vagrants of others who affront civility,
          plus a dash of high social inequality, and the resulting environment
          is highly inimical to walking, public civility, and carfree
          living.
          Contrast this with high density pedestrian areas, such as now
          relatively low-crime Manhattan, Venice, most any city in east or
          south Asia, and many still in Europe. Except for areas rocked by
          major civil unrest, citizens and visitors can amble about peaceably
          at in these high-density areas in all but the darkest hours of the
          day with little concern for their physical safety.
          It seems that that simply trying to overlay a carfree environment on
          the existing infrastructure most anywhere in the USA would not
          produce a desirable environment. The list list of failed experiments
          with carfree streets and zones in America supports this. By contrast,
          in Europe they are numerous and thriving.
          It would be a spectacular challenge for an urban planner to come up
          with a plan that would create a carfree district in the USA that
          actually works. The first matter would to allay the safety problems
          addressed in the note. The second would be to overcome the equally
          insidious and valid (in this countyr) claim that lack of car traffic
          equals lack of business.
          As in Europe, local efforts to establish car-free days seem the most
          promising way to start. I'm surprised that there has been so little
          noise about it here, even in places such as S.F. and Berkeley where
          one would expect a certain enthusiasm for such things.