forthcoming spam attacks from Yahoo

  • carfreecrawford
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2002
      The following message showed up over on Urb-Eco.
      I checked, and Yahoo had indeed set all of my
      preferences to yes.

      I'm afraid we're getting awfully close to needing
      another solution to hosting this forum.

      =======================message========================

      I've wondered why all the SPAM lately... -kb

      Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 1:21 PM
      Subject: Yahoo has pulled a sneaky.

      > This just in. I have checked my Yahoo 'Marketing Account'
      and the following quote is accurate. So I would highly recommend
      that you follow the instructions below or you will be recieving tons
      of spam. This is rather underhanded of Yahoo, for not informing
      their guests and members about this. At anyrate, hopefully I will no
      longer get these annoying adds that I have been recieving for about
      a week or so. Clear Skies Everyone.

      QUOTE:
      ======
      ** Important: Read UNLESS you like getting spammed ! **
      I've just been alerted that Yahoo has made a sneaky change to
      everybody's 'Marketing Preferences' the result - loads of #%$
      SPAM! So, I've just been in and changed back what they've
      done. They had gone and changed ALL of my *No's* to *Yes!*

      Here's what you need to do: Go to your My Groups or a group
      home page. Click on Account Info on the top-right. Verify your
      password if it asks you to, and there's your Yahoo ID page.
      Under 'Member Information' you'll see *Edit your Marketing
      Preferences* in blue. Click that thing and change all those Yes's
      back to No's! Click *Save Changes*.

      END QUOTE
      =======
      Clear Skies!
    • mdh6214
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
        If you look at the options offered by Yahoo! Mail, there exists the
        option to have an account where you will not have any
        advertisements--for a price.

        Is carfree_cities' budget large enough to allow for such an
        option? I know one probably exists somewhere out there, even if
        it's not with Yahoo! Groups.

        --matt