RE: [carfree_cities] Air VS Rail

  • Elena Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2002
      --- Louis-Luc <exqmtl@...> wrote:
      > > That 20 hour escape is the most valuable part of
      > the trip. Until your
      > > friend sees that, he will continue to think you're
      > travel mode is crazy.

      ...And what an endorsement for trains J.K. Rowling
      gave when she created Harry Potter on a commute train
      ride. If she had been driving she would have had her
      mind mostly on operating the wheel. If she had been
      flying the time wouldn't have been there for
      cultivating all the wonderful characters in her story.

      -Lennie

      Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
      http://movies.yahoo.com/
    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2002
        In a message sent Today, Elena Williams wrote:

        -> ...And what an endorsement for trains J.K. Rowling
        -> gave when she created Harry Potter on a commute train
        -> ride. If she had been driving she would have had her
        -> mind mostly on operating the wheel. If she had been
        -> flying the time wouldn't have been there for
        -> cultivating all the wonderful characters in her story.

        ...and if she had been walking or cycling in a "modern" city, she would
        have been too busy dodging the cars, and too oppressed by their endless
        roar, to create anything at all.

        But we can change that.

        -Doug
      • John O. Andersen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2002
          Excellent point. This ultimate time freedom, escape from the pressures of
          the outside world is the chief benefit of train travel today.

          I think I'm going to write an article on that.

          John Andersen
          Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com