Re: [carfree_cities] Cycling advocates needing inspiration for struggle!

  • Mark Rauterkus
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2002
      > What strategies have worked in the past, in getting that kind of politician to
      > hear our message?

      + Get a room full of people.

      + Run your own kind of candidates and knock the other politician out of
      office.

      + Hold a "micro debate" of sorts, or an issue paper. Put your question to
      the candidates. Get their recorded replies. (Video Camera, audio tape) --
      document what they say. Broadcast what they say -- and the reasons why the
      answers are GOOD or BAD. Then make an endorsement from your group.

      Hint: The gun rights and right to life and YOU-FILL-IN-THE-BLANKS special
      interest people do this all the time.

      If you can make a politician look good or bad before a large audience (real
      time or otherwise) .... you've got "clout." If your newsletter goes out far
      and wide. If you have a news article / press release that gets picked up --
      you have clout.

      - - -

      After a while, you might be able to "coach the candidate" into knowing and
      doing what makes the most sense. But, ... at first, I don't know how
      successful you'll be.

      Ta.

      Mark Rauterkus
      Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com
    • smca013@ec.auckland.ac.nz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
        Dear carfree people

        I'm wondering what words of wisdom any experienced lobbyists out there can
        share.
        How do you deal with people stuck in a monolithic system that won't see things
        any other way? (they seem to view the world thru their windscreen and steering
        wheel)
        Example, a cycling advocate meeting with an individual politician, the latter
        being clearly caught up in ego, and known to be very very wealthy.

        Politicians are supposed to be able to change the way society operates, but
        many can't / won't hear what cycling and public transport advocates have to
        say. Or, they only change thing that increase the advantages their Gang has
        over the rest of us.
        What strategies have worked in the past, in getting that kind of politician to
        hear our message? Is it possible?

        Sally McAra
        New Zealand