Ecology in Canada

  • Andras Toth
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 5:19 AM
      Hello,

      I have a question to the Canadians on the list.

      From autumn 2002 I will give a seminar on ecology in Canada in the
      framework of the Canadian Studies Programme of the School for English and
      American Studies of Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, Hungary.

      This may sound very serious, but I have to admit that my knowledge of the
      Canadian side of ecology is limited and fragmentary. I am just starting to
      build the content of the course. My primary interests are
      environment-friendly transport modes (this is why I am on this list), but
      obviously the scope of the course will have to be much wider.

      As until now the Canadian Studies Programme has been mostly oriented to
      culture (literature in first place), I am planning to do a parallel survey
      of the scientific/social/legislative context and of the ecologically
      conscious literature (fiction and poetry).

      I would like to ask your advice on what themes and what authors could be
      discussed.

      What country-specific ecological issues are there in Canada? (E.g.
      preservation of Arctic nature, Inuits and ecology, multiculturalism and
      ecology, relations with the US)

      Who are the main "ecological thinkers" in Canada? (E.g. David Suzuki)

      Which pieces of Canadian literature are ecologically conscious? (E.g.
      Aritha Van Herk's The Tent Peg, Margaret Atwood's The Survival, Gabrielle
      Roy's The Cashier)

      By "ecologically conscious", of course I do not mean direct nature
      protection only, but the wider human well-being related concept.

      Both English and French (Quebec) references would be welcome.

      If you know a more appropriate list to which my message could be forwarded
      (Canadian green forums), or a web page with a lot of interesting
      references, please also indicate them to me.

      Thank you in advance for your help.

      Andras Toth