Re: [carfree_cities] Borrowing a car...

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
      At 05:55 PM Wednesday 3/6/2002, Louis-Luc wrote:

      >I feel kind of sad because it seems driving a car takes away (mentally, and
      >then physically) natural walking capabilities...

      Incessantly riding in cars from birth may even prevent assimilation of the
      *concept* of walking as transportation. I swear that the following is true.

      My wife, Linda, a long-time teacher, has been substituting in a friend's
      4th grade class (nine- and ten-year-olds, at this time of
      year). Yesterday, she happened to use the word "pedestrian" while speaking
      to the class. One of the brightest kids in the class immediately asked,
      "What's a pedestrian?"

      Linda asked the class, "Who knows what 'pedestrian' means?" One child
      did. One fourth-grader.

      These are mostly upper middle class kids from suburban and semi-rural
      neighborhoods in northern California. They never walk anywhere, take a bus
      or train in the course of normal life, or travel via any mode other than
      private automobile.

      As far as we can determine, exactly one of the hundreds of kids in
      attendance walks to school -- from his grandparents' adjacent
      property. None ride bicycles. I wouldn't walk or ride a bike anywhere
      around there, either.

      Linda has been riding the bus each day (not easy to do, but she's
      determined). The staff and faculty think she's crazy and the kids all feel
      very sorry for her.

      When these kids grow up, they will be just like Louis-Luc's friends. They
      won't be able to imagine walking anywhere, even to pick up a car.

      Very weird and very sad.

      -Doug

      ---
      The Carfree Institute
      Post Office Box 5175
      Larkspur, California 94977

      info@...
    • turpin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@y..., Doug Salzmann <doug@c...> wrote:
        > These are mostly upper middle class kids from suburban
        > and semi-rural neighborhoods in northern California.
        > They never walk anywhere

        Sadly, they are a generation who will suffer an epidemic
        of back problems. We evolved to walk. We are very well
        adapted to it. And walking is how we maintain the muscles
        that support the spine.
      • sebastian_from_poland
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2002
          > The enigma is: people who don't drive can walk to the second car
          but can't
          > drive it back, and people who can drive it seemingly can't walk to
          it. So
          > the only solution my 2 friends found was to go to the second car
          using the
          > first car, thinking that walking was not feasible (for them) even
          if it's a
          > one-way trip.
          >
          > I feel kind of sad because it seems driving a car takes away
          (mentally, and
          > then physically) natural walking capabilities...

          Hi,
          I had very similar but some way opposite experience when I used to be
          in States several year ago.
          As you wrote, it was strange for you that people who drive "can't"
          walk or rather can't imaging themselves walking.
          I'm from Poland and I used to walk even for long distances and one
          day I did it States. I went to video rental and the trip both ways
          took me about 40 minutes. For me it was a nice trip because I could
          see the town at least along my way during the walk. When I returned
          home to my hosts with whom I used to live and told them about it I
          had a feeling that they thought of me like a little bit crazy person.
          Besides I felt strange walking almost alone along sideways.
          It's really strange and even dangerous what happens to people.