Re: [carfree_cities] Taxi of the Future or Light-rail Replacement?

  • carfreecrawford
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
      Jym replied:

      >=v= Just PRT with another name.
      >
      >> Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but
      >> some routes might require tracks to be raised on pillars
      >> above roads, creating a truly futuristic look.
      >
      >=v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.

      It's important to hit this head-on. Most promoters of
      new transit modes want to put them up in the sky. They
      realize that you can't have driverless vehicles at
      grade level (except in limited-access areas, maybe),
      and it costs too much to build their low-capacity systems
      underground, so the only option they see is in the air.

      Really, we've had enough experience with elevated systems
      NEVER to build one in a city again. Ask anyone who ever
      lived near one. Go look underneath the ones that still
      exist (most have been torn down). It's a disaster not to
      be repeated. Putting the things on rubber tires only helps
      (not solves) the noise problem. Nothing fixes the visual
      intrusion problem.