Re: [carfree_cities] Taxi of the Future or Light-rail Replacement?

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2002
      =v= Just PRT with another name.

      > Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but
      > some routes might require tracks to be raised on pillars
      > above roads, creating a truly futuristic look.

      =v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.
      <_Jym_>
    • carfreecrawford
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
        Jym replied:

        >=v= Just PRT with another name.
        >
        >> Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but
        >> some routes might require tracks to be raised on pillars
        >> above roads, creating a truly futuristic look.
        >
        >=v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.

        It's important to hit this head-on. Most promoters of
        new transit modes want to put them up in the sky. They
        realize that you can't have driverless vehicles at
        grade level (except in limited-access areas, maybe),
        and it costs too much to build their low-capacity systems
        underground, so the only option they see is in the air.

        Really, we've had enough experience with elevated systems
        NEVER to build one in a city again. Ask anyone who ever
        lived near one. Go look underneath the ones that still
        exist (most have been torn down). It's a disaster not to
        be repeated. Putting the things on rubber tires only helps
        (not solves) the noise problem. Nothing fixes the visual
        intrusion problem.
      • Mark Jaroski
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
          Jym Dyer wrote:
          > =v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.

          It's soo quiet!

          -- mark at geekhive dot net --