Taxi of the Future or Light-rail Replacement?

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2002
      From: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020225/lf/science_travel_dc_1.html

      British Travel Pod Makes Science Fantasy a Fact
      By Toni Vorobyova
      LONDON (Reuters) - A shiny white pod that began road tests this month may
      well be the taxi of the future.
      The pod, known as ULTra -- Urban Light Transport -- could make driver-free
      transport a reality and not just the stuff of futuristic fantasy.
      ``It will be the first in the world,'' said Richard Treychenne, director of
      business development at ULTra's makers, Advanced Transport Systems Limited.
      The pod -- which seats up to four passengers -- is the brainchild of Bristol
      University's Martin Lowson, who is no stranger to making science fiction
      dreams come true. His past projects include the Apollo Moon-landing program
      in the United States.
      Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but some routes might
      require tracks to be raised on pillars above roads, creating a truly
      futuristic look.
      The first stage of the ULTra project will have 30 pods circling the Cardiff
      Bay area in Wales by 2004 if all goes according to plan, Treychenne said.
      Next, the pods would move to the center of the Welsh capital.
      At a maximum of 25 miles per hour, ULTra may not reach cosmic speeds but
      should still speed past cars and buses stuck in traffic.
      The battery-powered pods will operate on a single five foot track -- less
      than half the width of a single lane of road -- and recharge at every stop
      to keep their energy levels topped up.
      Resistant to vandalism, snow, rain and ice, the vehicles will be designed to
      stop automatically if they sense an object in their path.
      [Con't at URL]

      -RL
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2002
        =v= Just PRT with another name.

        > Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but
        > some routes might require tracks to be raised on pillars
        > above roads, creating a truly futuristic look.

        =v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.
        <_Jym_>
      • carfreecrawford
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
          Jym replied:

          >=v= Just PRT with another name.
          >
          >> Wherever possible, ULTra will run along the ground, but
          >> some routes might require tracks to be raised on pillars
          >> above roads, creating a truly futuristic look.
          >
          >=v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.

          It's important to hit this head-on. Most promoters of
          new transit modes want to put them up in the sky. They
          realize that you can't have driverless vehicles at
          grade level (except in limited-access areas, maybe),
          and it costs too much to build their low-capacity systems
          underground, so the only option they see is in the air.

          Really, we've had enough experience with elevated systems
          NEVER to build one in a city again. Ask anyone who ever
          lived near one. Go look underneath the ones that still
          exist (most have been torn down). It's a disaster not to
          be repeated. Putting the things on rubber tires only helps
          (not solves) the noise problem. Nothing fixes the visual
          intrusion problem.
        • Mark Jaroski
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
            Jym Dyer wrote:
            > =v= Yeah, like the "futuristic" El line in Chicago.

            It's soo quiet!

            -- mark at geekhive dot net --