Re: Bush Transport Budget Analysis

  • smithjeff11
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22 3:21 PM
      A few thoughts...

      I'd prefer a politician who would do what is right for me, not just do
      what I want. I don't believe that our executive party is focusing on
      policy that is good for the future of the country, if indeed they even
      know what that policy is.
      I think that it is always necessary to separate the symptom of a
      problem from its source. Is there any doubt that politics in this
      country focuses on symptoms?
      For example:
      Problem: "Sprawl is bad"
      Solution: "Lets build more parks, and widen the roads!"
      REAL problem:"We build our dwelling places with no regard for patterns
      ."
      REAL Solution: We need workable design patterns for our subdivisions.
      The ones we have now suck.

      I think we're all in denial on some level...! Driving is easier than
      walking, therefore I drive instead of walk. Am I better off by doing
      so? Truth is, WE don't know what is good for us, so we depend on
      someone in government to know.
      I'm a big believer in capitalism", but I think it's clear that if
      people can delude themselves into thinking that they're better off
      driving, then we can't expect our government to escape this delusion
      either.
      Many Americans probably have never taken a train, and might wonder why
      we even have train service to begin with. They don't know better, and
      they never will. How can they, when every other advertisement on TV is
      an automobile commercial?