Re: Digest Number 632

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., Karen Sandness <ksandness1@a...> wrote:
      > And did you notice that the piece comes from a Libertarian
      > think tank? They're deathly afraid that tax dollars will
      > be used for something that they themselves would never
      > condescend to use! (Buses are sufficient for the peasants,
      > as far as they're concerned.)

      That would be funny if it weren't for the fact that so
      many of the libertarians I know are lower-middle class,
      and travel typically by bike or bus. Personally, I think
      the issue of bus vs. rail depends entirely on what kind
      of bus lines and what kind of rail.

      > Austin, Texas rail advocates have a great Website
      > debunking these myths with real-life case studies.

      And I'll keep voting against the kind of light rail
      proposed for Austin until its advocates figure out where
      Austin is. Being opposed to the subsidization of sprawl,
      I'm against yet another way of subsidizing it. We need
      to end the existing subsidies for living in the suburbs,
      not create new ones.
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2002
        Thanks Karen and Joel for these rebuttals. S