RE: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 622

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:42:27
      > From: "Henning Mortensen" <henning_work@...>
      > Subject: Re: Children & Cycling
      >
      > I have serious problems with policies and ideas which once
      > again perpetuate
      > the myth that the problem of bicycle accidents lies with the
      > rider and not
      > with the car that hit them. This is akin to the perpetuation
      > of the myth
      > that it is ok that a driver ran over a child because the
      > child ran out into
      > traffic. We desperately need to stop blaming the victim here.

      First the statistical common answer - anywhere from 50-80% of cycling
      'accidents' involving children on bikes are the fault of children.

      The carfree response - Yes, there should be more emphasis placed on the
      responsibility of motorists to watch out for children and SLOW DOWN.

      However - Not all cycling collisions with children involve traffic
      conditions or motor vehicles. They may occur on pathways, be with trees, or
      even be a fall on pavement.

      > hypothetical question here- In a carfree city would we need
      > to put such
      > limits on the age when children may cycle.

      Depends. There should be social (not legislated) limits considered for when
      children can cycle without adult supervision, which usually means for
      transportation on their own. It relates more to a child's ability to
      function on her or his own than to traffic or environmental factors.