the Library Paradigm

  • Vincent Hedger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Steven wrote:

      >I'm not familiar with the library paradigm, at least not by that
      >name. I would be deeply grateful if you could elaborate for me.

      Imagine a library full of books. They are, in effect, 'owned' by everyone.
      Depending upon the nation/region in which you live, the library is funded
      either collectively, through taxes and private grants, on the assumption
      that everyone benefits from a library, and thus the costs ought to be
      collectively shared. In France, libraries usually operate by subscription-
      in other words, you pay a yearly subscription rate in order to check out
      books. this funds the operation of the library.

      Now imagine a library where instead of books, you check out bikes, autos, or
      any number of resources.

      This example explains the Library Paradigm in its most basic form. Clearly,
      there is MUCH more to it than this. for example, the Library Paradigm is a
      transitional/evolutionary economic concept, as it enables
      communities/individuals to take advantage of economy of scale. Assuming a
      well developed 'business/operational plan,' a library operates far more
      efficiently when it serves a great number of people than the alternative of
      every individual owning (and having to support) their own library. This
      issue of a well developed business/operational plan is critical, especially
      when coupled with the additional consideration that integrating such a
      paradigm in a society that has been trained to think in terms of
      individualism, rather than voluntary, consensus-based collective efforts. If
      you were interested in exploring this paradigm from its many perspectives,
      you would find that it is quite complex in terms of its implications for
      American/first world societies. Applied on a global level, this concept has
      tremendous potential for addressing persistent issues of poverty,
      inequality, and community cohesiveness...again, assuming that projects
      undertaken are developed within the context of a well organized schematic.
      This point cannot be emphasized strongly enough.

      At present, this concept/paradigm is being explored, and is evolving,
      through the cooperative movement. This movement is manifest in the
      development of food co-ops, auto and bike libraries, cooperative space
      sharing, and related cooperative businesses and organizations.

      I checked the url (http://www.hburgsc.org) this am, and it's working
      fine...considering.

      To explore this issue further, go to the links page on the site. You will
      find a fair number of organizations that are involved in projects which in
      some degree or another embrace the Library Paradigm.

      If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

      cheers, Vincent