Ranking US cities

  • Marcus Nielson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2000
      Hi. I'm currently living in Minneapolis, Mn which is one of the worst
      major cities in the US in terms of sprawl and car dependance. To add
      to the recent discussion about carfree US cities, how about we rank
      cities in terms of their carfree-ness? I would proposes one group of
      major cities (250,000 and up) meduim (250,000 to 50,000) and small
      (50,000 and smaller).

      Just to start it up I would say San Francisco, Portland, OR and New
      York in that order for major cities.

      Marcus
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2000
        >Hi. I'm currently living in Minneapolis, Mn which is one of the worst
        >major cities in the US in terms of sprawl and car dependance. To add
        >to the recent discussion about carfree US cities, how about we rank
        >cities in terms of their carfree-ness? I would proposes one group of
        >major cities (250,000 and up) meduim (250,000 to 50,000) and small
        >(50,000 and smaller).

        I think it might be useful to add a category of mega-city, those
        above about 5 million or so. The problems are rather different
        in really large cities.

        >Just to start it up I would say San Francisco, Portland, OR and New
        >York in that order for major cities.

        I'd rate New York as the number one in transit--the NY subway
        system may be gritty, but it works pretty well.

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2000
          It was written:
          >>Hi. I'm currently living in Minneapolis, Mn which is one of the worst
          >>major cities in the US in terms of sprawl and car dependance. To add
          >>to the recent discussion about carfree US cities, how about we rank
          >>cities in terms of their carfree-ness? I would proposes one group of
          >>major cities (250,000 and up) meduim (250,000 to 50,000) and small
          >>(50,000 and smaller).

          I heard recently that in Minneapolis or St.Paul MN that a 11.5 mile Light
          Rail line is going to built between the airport, Mall of America and the
          CBD. I also read that there is a lot of opposition by some one named Bruce
          Gaarder of St.Paul and by Mall of America over the building of a LRT
          station.

          >I think it might be useful to add a category of mega-city, those
          >above about 5 million or so. The problems are rather different
          >in really large cities.

          >>Just to start it up I would say San Francisco, Portland, OR and New
          >>York in that order for major cities.

          >I'd rate New York as the number one in transit--the NY subway
          >system may be gritty, but it works pretty well.

          New York also has a pretty good commuter train system as well. San Francisco
          has commuter train service to San Jose and up until 1958 there was even
          commuter train service across the San Francisco Bay bridge to Oakland!
          Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2000
            >Rail or Busway, that's a good question, but it also leads a lot of other
            >questions. Capital costs, operating costs, type of equipment used,
            >distances, air/water pollution and etc. It's a complex situation that seems
            >to be best solved on a case by case nature.
            >Mr.Crawford would have more info.

            Actually, I don't have a lot of hard information on costs.
            They're terribly specific to the local situation and really
            require engineering assessment for each case.

            Rules of thumb:

            New underground metro systems in existing urban areas
            cost roughly as much per mile as new urban freeways.

            As far as I am aware, nobody has ever built a new metro
            in a greenfield area. The costs should be far lower than
            in built-up areas, however. That's why I've dared to
            propose their use in new carfree cities. (The big problem
            in existing cities is working around all the existing
            infrastructure.) Fare-free systems can be built closer
            to the surface (no fare-pay mezzanine), and so should
            be a lot cheaper to build.

            LRVs are competitive with buses in any circumstance
            where the traffic is heavy enough to require frequent
            service (a modern tram can carry easily twice as many
            people as an articulated bus, so labor costs are less
            per rider).

            People won't switch from cars to buses, but they will
            switch from cars to electrically-powered rail systems.

            "Nobody with a choice ever took a bus anywhere."

            ###

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2000
              Mr.Risemberg wrote:
              >I remember trolley buses in LA--very quiet, but subject to the same traffic
              >delays and lurching, etc, as regular buses. Rail is smoother and more
              >mechanically efficient, and with grade separation not as subject to
              >traffic.

              Richard have you ever seen this URL http://www.erha.org/latl.htm before?
              This might bring back some memories of LA and once it had a fairly extensive
              interurban rail system http://www.erha.org/pesystem.htm.

              >If I recall correctly (I was very young at the time), annoyance at the dual
              >overhead wires of the trolley buses was a major excuse for removing them.

              In Montreal one of the reasons(excuses) to get rid of the trams and trolley
              buses was visual pollution of the lines.

              >Richard Ron Dawson
            • Ronald Dawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2000
                Mr.Crawford wrote:
                >LRVs are competitive with buses in any circumstance
                >where the traffic is heavy enough to require frequent
                >service (a modern tram can carry easily twice as many
                >people as an articulated bus, so labor costs are less
                >per rider).

                In Montreal on our Duex-Montangne EMU(Electric Multiple Unit) commuter line,
                a ten car(5 married pairs) train can handle 900(seated) to 1200(standing
                room) people with a crew of two. Rolling stock information can be found at
                the following URL http://www.transportation.bombardier.com/htmen/A2H.htm.
                Hey I rode them today. During off peak periods trains can be 4,6 or 8 cars
                long.
                Montreal commuter trains work on the honour system and time to time fare
                inspectors come around. A friend of mine calls the inspectors "POP
                COPs",(POP being for "Proof of Payment").
                For a map of the line look at http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/plan.asp. I live
                near the Bois-Franc station and can see the pantographs from my kitchen
                window. The two other commuter lines use Diesel-Electric trains.
                Ron Dawson
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 11, 2000
                  >In Montreal on our Duex-Montangne EMU(Electric Multiple Unit) commuter line,
                  >a ten car(5 married pairs) train can handle 900(seated) to 1200(standing
                  >room) people with a crew of two. Rolling stock information can be found at
                  >the following URL http://www.transportation.bombardier.com/htmen/A2H.htm.
                  >Hey I rode them today. During off peak periods trains can be 4,6 or 8 cars
                  >long.
                  >Montreal commuter trains work on the honour system and time to time fare
                  >inspectors come around. A friend of mine calls the inspectors "POP
                  >COPs",(POP being for "Proof of Payment").
                  >For a map of the line look at http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/plan.asp. I live
                  >near the Bois-Franc station and can see the pantographs from my kitchen
                  >window. The two other commuter lines use Diesel-Electric trains.
                  > Ron Dawson

                  I used to ride the electrics when I lived in the Town of Mount Royal.
                  They provided very rapid, convenient access to downtown Montreal.
                  It's reassuring to know that they're still running.

                  ###

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 12, 2000
                    Mr.Crawford wrote:
                    >I used to ride the electrics when I lived in the Town of Mount Royal.
                    >They provided very rapid, convenient access to downtown Montreal.
                    >It's reassuring to know that they're still running.

                    Wow, I had no idea that you used to live in TMR (Town of Mount Royal). I
                    live just 4 miles down the line in Ville St.Laurent. TMR is a great example
                    of a railroad suburb, in that all the major streets lead to the train
                    station, kind of like the letter X.
                    From 1993 to 1995 the line between Montreal and Duex-Montangne was totally
                    renovated for $300(CDN)million. New track, new catenary, new stations and
                    new rolling stock. Before the track was 100lb joint rail, now it is 115lb
                    welded rail with 65mph track conditions, the catenary is now at 25Kv A.C.
                    instead of the 3Kv D.C. that it use to be, at stations we have new platforms
                    and better lighting. The Boxcab type locomotives from the 1920's, the
                    heavyweight coaches from the 1940's and even the EMU cars from the 1950's
                    were all retired. Replaced by Bombardier MR-90s (some of the older equipment
                    has found new homes on tourist lines and at various museums).
                    Mr.Crawford and others, I think you will enjoy this awesome URL done by Marc
                    Dufour http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/DeuxMontagnes/index.html . Here is an
                    other URL, this time in English http://home.swipnet.se/ricard/tmr.html .
                    Till later,Ron Dawson