Almost car-free...

  • huang_ec
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2002
      Hello to all, new member here seeking advice:
      Does anyone know of some research done or even actual live cases of
      lane reduction of existing roads. I don't mean total
      pedestrianisation, but rather main roads in residential suburbs which
      have the number of lanes reduced in the interest of safety, noise
      reduction, increased privacy, implementation of other facilties, etc.

      I'm seeking information to back my proposal to save roadside trees
      while introducing a light-rail service within the road carriageway.
      Retaining road capacity would imply widening, and this will mean
      felling all the mature trees along this road. I'm arguing for a
      reduced road capacity, that is, ultimately reducing car usage along
      the route while providing a new public transport service.

      Any leads to research papers, implemented cases, policies, etc, would
      be appreciated. I've looked all over the internet and found nothing
      so far, even though I know that there have been experiments of this
      sort doine in Europe since the early 90's.

      Thanks. HUANG Eu Chai
    • Vincent Hedger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
        Haung,
        You might have better luck looking at related projects in city centers. I've
        lived in two cities where roads were narrowed for the purpose of slowing
        traffic and beautification- Anchorage, Alaska, and York PA., and am sure
        that many other cities have been involved in this movement.

        Your light rail idea intrigues me, as I've long envisioned renovating
        America's interstate system so that 1/2 of the roadways are converted to
        rail/bike lanes. It's nice to see that others are working on this. Please
        keep us posted.

        Sincerely, Vincent Hedger

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
          huang_ec wrote:

          > Hello to all, new member here seeking advice:
          > Does anyone know of some research done or even actual live cases of
          > lane reduction of existing roads.
          > Any leads to research papers, implemented cases, policies, etc, would
          > be appreciated. I've looked all over the internet and found nothing
          > so far, even though I know that there have been experiments of this
          > sort doine in Europe since the early 90's.

          Look at this link:

          http://www.living-room.org/bikepeople/delacom2.htm

          The author, whose email address is linked to his byline, may be able to
          help you.

          Richard
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
          just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
          to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

          Lu Hsun
        • billt44hk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
            I've looked all over the internet and found nothing
            > so far, even though I know that there have been experiments of this
            > sort doine in Europe since the early 90's.
            >
            > Thanks. HUANG Eu Chai

            I'm not sure if there's specifically an article on a light rail
            scheme, but there is one on trams, and many more heartening examples
            of implemented schemes and initiatives at the Irish Times' special
            feature on traffic reduction in European cities. See
            www.ireland.com/special/traffic/traffic3.htm

            Bill Telfer
          • T. J. Binkley
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
              HUANG,

              You wrote:

              >Hello to all, new member here seeking advice:
              >Does anyone know of some research done or even actual live cases of
              >lane reduction of existing roads. I don't mean total
              >pedestrianisation, but rather main roads in residential suburbs which
              >have the number of lanes reduced in the interest of safety, noise
              >reduction, increased privacy, implementation of other facilties, etc.

              The street in front of my office was "narrowed" from four (car) lanes,
              recently, to two car lanes, a center turn lane and two bike lanes. Lots of
              cities have implemented various attempts to increase safety in residential
              and mixed neighborhoods. If you do a search for "traffic calming", you'll
              probably find some schemes which involve lane reduction.

              In fact, I just entered "traffic calming reduce the number of lanes" into
              Google and got quite a list, beginning with:
              http://www.walkinginfo.org/de/roadway/reducing/

              >I'm seeking information to back my proposal to save roadside trees
              >while introducing a light-rail service within the road carriageway.
              >Retaining road capacity would imply widening, and this will mean
              >felling all the mature trees along this road. I'm arguing for a
              >reduced road capacity, that is, ultimately reducing car usage along
              >the route while providing a new public transport service.

              Some folks in Santa Barbara are waging a similar fight:

              http://www.sbbike.org/QR/1993/93.05/93.05.html

              >Any leads to research papers, implemented cases, policies, etc, would
              >be appreciated. I've looked all over the internet and found nothing
              >so far, even though I know that there have been experiments of this
              >sort doine in Europe since the early 90's.

              Good luck on your proposal

              -TJB
            • Chris Bradshaw
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2002
                Well-known advocate of walkability, Dan Burden, has developed a "road
                diets" program, which he has implemented in over a thousand communities
                in North America.

                Site: www.walkable.org [download centre: "Road Diet"]

                Chris Bradshaw
                Ottawa
              • huang_ec
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2002
                  My heartfelt thanks to all those who've responded to my not-very
                  recent query regarding traffic reduction measures. I haven't ahd the
                  chance to come back to this forum in quite a while.

                  For those of you who may be interested, the best information so far
                  I've found on this topic originates from Prof. Phil Goodwin of UCL
                  Centre for Transport Studies in the UK, and who is one of the key
                  personnel behind the UK Government White Paper on the Future of
                  Transport. His inaugural lecture as professor of transport policy at
                  the UCL sums up his approach very elegantly:

                  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/transport-studies/tsu/pbginau.htm

                  He and his coleagues have written a report of case studies of road
                  capacity reductions around the world:

                  http://www.landorbooks.co.uk/clas_search.php?offset=45&search=1

                  Lastly, those of you who may be intereswted in the UK White Paper
                  will find it here:

                  http://www.dtlr.gov.uk/itwp/paper/index.htm

                  I hope the above will be of use to everyone. Many thanks again.