RE: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 589

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:32:26
      > From: "Henning Mortensen" <henning_work@...>
      > Subject: Re: oops to Survey
      >
      > In winter we:
      > - usually have a permanant snow cover
      > - occasionally have temperatures down to -40C
      > - often have windchills which will freeze skin in less then a minute
      >
      > Up here it is ok to expound carfree ideals in summer, but in
      > winter it is a
      > pretty hard sell. Any ideas?

      Similar conditions in Ottawa. When I could walk to work, it was the only
      time during the work week that I received sunlight, and it made an enormous
      difference in getting throught the winter blahs. Last winter, my commute
      went from 20 minutes to 45 minutes by foot, but was still enjoyable.

      The fact that you have to wait up to 30 minutes for public transit makes me
      think of the chicken and egg syndrome - few will wait that long so demand is
      low; demand is low so frequency is low. Seems to me bumping up the service
      and marketing it as an alternative to winter driving might help all
      involved, but requires extra cash. Many here are winter transit riders to
      avoid driving in snow.

      -RL