The cold

  • Brian Paquet
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      I've never lived out west, a Montreal youth is the coldest I've ever
      gotten. It is easy I suspect for those who haven't lived with such extreme
      temperatures to underestimate the cold.

      That being said, an expensive solution would be a set of underground
      tunnels under the streets, either with regular entries, or perhaps an
      entry to each building. We have them here at the University at St John's
      Newfoundland, where it dosen't get all that cold, and they get a lot of
      use.

      A dense underground tunneled city would sure beathaving the leave your car
      for any period of time on those real cold days.

      For that matter, considering many non residential areas don't even bother
      with windows [mall stores] perhaps an underground level to the carfree
      topology can be added [a fifth floor] for commercial use.

      As for the need for cops, isn't one of the benifits of car free cities to
      increase ped density so that everything ends up being watched?