Re: [carfree_cities] Policing Underground Streets

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      =v= Here we go with that perception vs. reality problem again.

      =v= There's a popular notion, thanks to a glut of fictionalized
      police dramas, stoked by police public relations offices, and
      exaggerated to the hilt by the U.S. mass media, that crime runs
      uncontrolled in the streets and the police spend their time
      protecting us from it. In reality, that sort of crime is down
      and the police are very selective in whom they protect from it.
      Also, the impact of that sort of crime is much less than the
      impact from damage done by cars. (It's also much less than the
      impact of white-collar crime, but that's a discussion for a
      whole 'nother email list.)

      =v= And here I go quoting Stanley Hart again.

      =v= Hart did an analysis of the budget of Pasdena, California,
      in 1991. He found that car-related matters took up 40% of the
      police department budget, 14% of the fire department budget,
      and 16% of the paramedics budget. Given how much higher the
      impact of the damage of cars is, 40% clearly isn't enough
      for the police do an adequate job. So it could well be that
      replacing car facilities with misperceived-as-scary pedestrian
      ones would actually be safer.
      <_Jym_>