Re: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 590

  • Will Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002

      >From: "michelle@..." <michelle@...>
      >
      >Adding to his topology, I would suggest a frigid carfree city would also
      >have (to protect the people walking in frostbite temperatures for
      >possibly up to 15 minutes):

      >-a system of underground streets (Toronto is an excellent example)
      >-the metro system would definitely be underground (to protect the tracks
      >& to keep people warm while waiting)

      Crystal City (Virginia, US) has underground climate controlled walkways
      with shops, grocery, etc and an underground metro. One need not go
      above ground at all.
      Unfortunately, the above ground areas are car dominated.

      http://www.crystalcity.com/crystal_city.jpg

      So low temperatures do not obviate carfree cities; indeed, they can
      become far more livable. Bikes and segways may be limited in such a
      scenario.
      The layout of residences can be much more freeform if aboveground
      walkways are not needed.

      Will Stewart
    • Vincent Hedger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        OUr aversion to cold is, to a great extent, cultural (read:taught). For 10's
        of thousands of years, peoples from all over the earth have lived in harmony
        with the elements, both heat and cold, and continue to do so. Re-learning to
        dress for the weather, re-learning to celebrate extremes shouldn't only be
        the mandate of the poets and misfits. All of humanity was/is created to
        experience a far greater range of life experiences than those which
        corporate America puts on our plates. Cold- its just a sensation, after all.

        sincerely, Vincent Hedger