Re: [carfree_cities] Frigid Carfree Cities

  • Mark Rauterkus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi,

      Other car-free issues in winter cities/seasons:

      cross-country ski
      snow-mobiles (still got that gas consumption)

      On a lark -- let's talk about skating! Who can do the Hans Brinker transit
      and skate on a stream, canal, river, flooded walkway?

      Cinci, Ohio is a decent example of elevated walkways/skywalks in downtown.
      Same too in Pittsburgh, PA when one considers the navigation among to
      hospital complex in UPMC cluster of buildings in Oakland.

      Ta.

      Mark Rauterkus
      Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
        The most obvious thing is the now completely accepted disparity in street
        clearing services as between road and sidewalk.

        If you are in a car salting of otherwise frozen highways in cold weather is
        usually adequate but clearing of sidewalks except in the foyer and car park
        areas of shopping centres and city centre pedestrian areas is minimal to
        non-existent. The citizen exiting a snout house to their car need only salt
        a few metres or less (if in their garage) of iced driveway to get into their
        car and onto the salted road.

        If you wish or have to walk only the agile with the right footwear for icy
        surfaces can go out without risking a fall onto hard surfaces because the
        sidewalks will be snowed and - worse - filmed with ice. Conditions are only
        marginally better for cyclists. Once you are on a salted surface you are
        fine but in the meantime a prioritised policy of salting the busier roads
        means the routes a cyclist would prefer as being freer of car born traffic
        are often next to impassable on a bicycle because they are so slippery.

        A car may have some difficulty on such surfaces but as long as the driver
        goes slowly they need suffer no serious risk of a bump or personal fall.
        Gritting policy is heavily oriented in favour of the carborn and the places
        they walk to from where they have parked their cars.

        I have raised this matter before. Given the extra costs of salting (let
        alone sweeping) sidewalks it was suggested to me that the problem would only
        be solved by householders being responsible for salting the spaces outside
        their properties - as is the case in several parts of the world (Germany?
        some parts of USA? Forgive my ignorance). This could be fine and a matter of
        pride in suburbia and where detached houses provide residence for a
        relatively permanent population - but how could it work in inner city areas
        of dense housing with a highly differentiated level of personal feelings of
        responsibility for the space outside your home, or where there may be a high
        proportion of disabled or elderly residents.

        I could see a policy of the kind I'm describing working in our inner city
        suburban road of fewer than 50 detached and semi-detached houses but I know
        other streets where it would be very difficult to impose a sense of personal
        and community responsibility for clearing sidewalks of ice and where
        regularly replenished sand and salt tubs on corners would be the subject of
        vandalism and flytipping. I am not saying it couldn't happen and in the long
        rum I am optimistic. I could, for instance, imagine more inventiveness being
        applied to mechanised sidewalk grit spreaders on the same principle as the
        road grit spreaders.

        Any more thoughts?

        Simon

        Simon Baddeley
        34 Beaudesert Road
        Handsworth
        Birmingham B20 3TG
        United Kingdom
        00 44 121 554 9794
        00 44 7775 655842
        07775 655842

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi All,

          >> Cinci, Ohio is a decent example of elevated walkways/skywalks in downtown.
          >> Same too in Pittsburgh, PA when one considers the navigation among to
          >> hospital complex in UPMC cluster of buildings in Oakland.

          Q:
          > Are these walkways elevated to get them above the car-occupied streets
          > below. Elevated walkways or skyways would not be generally necessary in a
          > carfree area.

          Oh yes. These are typical downtown areas. Cars are on the streets. Lots of
          parking garages. But, they do encourage walking. Heated in the winter. Cool
          (mostly) in the summer.

          I was in Cinci at a downtown hotel for a convention. Perhaps the convention
          crowd and the notion of a convention center is a place to champion car-free
          places. Consider the river walk in San Antonio. That (narrow strip) is
          car-free, right.

          Don't many "convention type settings" cater to the out-of-town traveler
          (flew into the city without a car).

          In Pittsburgh, there is a big hospital expansion due to happen. Hundreds of
          parking spaces (perhaps thousands??) are going to be taken in an area that
          is very, very hard to park already. The plans call for off-site parking (2-3
          miles away) and buses from the parking lot to the work place. The workers in
          the hospitals are the ones that are having the parking taken, mostly.

          This is an ugly situation that also presents some opportunities. Sadly, I
          have little faith in the powers that be thinking about creative and
          sustainable solutions for the greater community.

          Ta.

          Mark Rauterkus
          Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com
        • macwizzurd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
            In a message dated 1/1/02 9:41:57 AM, michelle@... writes:

            << -a system of skywalks, and/or
            -a system of underground streets (Toronto is an excellent example)
            -the metro system would definitely be underground (to protect the tracks
            & to keep people warm while waiting)

            Am I forgetting anything?
            Michelle Giansante

            Um-- a huge police force to patrol the tunnels, skywalks, and the shady areas
            beneath the skywalks?
            Howard, Chicago
          • Bruce Minturn