Re: [carfree_cities] oops to Survey

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2001
      Well, I gues that goes to prove that even those of us working with computers
      day in and day out occassionally fall prey to the old reply_to mistake.

      I appologize to you all.

      So that this is not a totally wasted message, let me challange the list to
      expend a few neurons in considering the challange of making a place like
      Regina carfree. Consider this.

      In winter we:
      - usually have a permanant snow cover
      - occasionally have temperatures down to -40C
      - often have windchills which will freeze skin in less then a minute

      I can ride my bike most days with proper clothing and gear and otherwise can
      wait shivering for up to 30 minutes for the bus, but I am afraid that I have
      to admit that this is only something I do out of dedication.

      Up here it is ok to expound carfree ideals in summer, but in winter it is a
      pretty hard sell. Any ideas?

      Henning Mortensen
      Regina Sk, Canada

      >From: "Henning Mortensen" <henning_work@...>
      >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Survey
      >Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:18:23
      >
      >I would say that I am personally about 80% carfree, though my wife is
      >totally car dependent. We live in Regina Sk, Canada.
      >
      >Henning Mortensen
      >

      > >From: "michelle@..." <michelle@...>
      > >To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [carfree_cities] Survey
      > >Date: Sun, 30 Dec 01 14:54:45 -0600
      > >

      > >I am curious, so I want to conduct a survey of the 200-some members of
      > >this list. Please answer this question by responding to my personal
      > >email. I will collect the results and post what I gather in, let's say, a
      > >week's time.
      > >
      > >Question:
      > >If you are currently living carfree (occasional car use OK, as long as
      > >the majority of the time you live carfree), then please tell me what city
      > >you live in?
      > >
      > >-Also, please tell me of the number of other family members that may not
      > >necessarily be on this list, but who also live carfree.
      > >
      > >Please respond to me by January 4 at michelle@....
      > >
      > >My ulterior motive for this survey is to see if the majority of us live
      > >in a certain city, perhaps it would be a good city to start working on
      > >together to make it carfree! Of course, that's very optimistic, I know
      > >:-) !
      > >
      > >Michelle Giansante

      > >Group address: http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/

    • T. J. Binkley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002

        >In winter we:
        >- usually have a permanant snow cover
        >- occasionally have temperatures down to -40C
        >- often have windchills which will freeze skin in less then a minute
        >
        >Up here it is ok to expound carfree ideals in summer, but in winter it is a
        >pretty hard sell. Any ideas?

        If a district similar to "the reference district" were to be built in a
        place like this, one would clearly expect a substantial drop in foot
        traffic around the district in the winter. A fairly frequent, small,
        (preferably electric) jitney circulating throughout the district (which
        might be an unacceptable burden on others in summertime) could probably
        work fine for intra-district trips and ferrying people to and from the
        parking areas and transit stop in winter.

        -TJB
      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          Greetings from the second-coldest capital city in the world!

          The original question is based on a premise I don't agree with:
          specifically that, when one travels, one needs full climate control.

          I hope those on this list know that, in winter, driving (and city
          efforts to accommodate it) is far more environmentally dangerous and
          threatening to the vulnerable roadusers, than during the rest of the
          year.

          Bosh! As was pointed out, the important factor is a) the distance one
          needs to cover (the longer the exposure, the more challenging the need
          for "protection) and b) the level of "activeness" of the traveler.

          On the whole, Canadian cities are more dense and less-car-oriented than
          American cities (see: Kenworthy & Newman, _Cities and Car-Dependence: A
          Sourcebook). This is partly _because_ of the harsh climate.

          I am bike-dependent for eight months a year, and shift completely to
          walking during the winter, always properly dressed (body, feet, and
          head/neck) and always enjoying myself. I don't get cold, unless I have
          to stand or sit, when my body doesn't have the stimulus of being on the
          go.

          Having said that, I have been a pedestrian activist for some time,
          including trying to get over the inequality of the treatment of walking
          and driving surfaces. E.g., "Streets are _cleared_, sidewalks are
          _plowed_" (yes, Ottawa city staff plow -- and grit -- all sidewalks, but
          all winter the walking surface is that of ice, after the first thaw or
          freezing rain.)

          The result is that seniors, so vulnerable to falls and so unable to heal
          quickly (or at all) when injured, are virtually under house-arrest
          during the winter, unless they have a car (which of course will be used
          when it isn't needed the rest of the year).

          Ottawa also has the "world's longest ice rink" along the Rideau Canal
          that runs from the south through the centre of town 8-9 kilometres).
          Many people commute on ice skates. The National Capital Commission
          builds ramps for its ice-clearing equipment and drills holes to allow
          for periodic flooding (using the water under the 10-plus inches of
          ice). I live two blocks away and skate to downtown for meetings about
          once a week. The Canal is the scene of Winterlude, one of the largest
          winter festivals in the world (now drawing more people than the older
          Quebec Winter Carnival).

          The snow and ice surface is a natural for blades and boards. The city
          of yore had transit that ran on runners (horse drawn), and to ensure a
          good surface, the snow was packed with rollers, rather than being plowed
          (which creates a storage problem, requiring 2/3 of the winter road
          budget to truck away and put into huge mounds that don't melt until the
          middle of summer, leaving behind a hideous mess, not mention saturating
          the soil with salt and other car-borne toxic substances.)

          And when packed snow can be assured on the sidewalks, it is the most
          glorious walking surface, slightly buoyant and having great traction. I
          use rubber overshoes, which wear out much faster on a cleared sidewalk
          surface than packed snow.

          Chris Bradshaw
          Ottawa