Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Segway

    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 5, 2001
      Mark Burgess said:

      >>Let's not lose sight of the fact that Segway is nothing more than a
      >>substitute for a bike.
      >
      >Why do you say that? It can't go as fast as a bike, it *can* go much
      >slower than a bike (including coming to a dead stop while still
      >carrying its passenger), it can turn around on a sidewalk, it can be
      >used by folks who are semi-ambulatory (wearing a cast or whatever),
      >it can go backwards, etc. etc. I don't really see either its form or
      >its functionality as being bike-like at all.

      I don't regard these as terribly important differences; the main
      thingis that it is much faster than walking and about the same
      speed as cycling (saving aside those on racing bikes). There
      are differences, of course, but for most users they would substitute
      interchangably as far as function. A competent cyclist can ride more
      slowly than a pedestrian when necessary.

      >> >3. How well will pedestrians and HTs really mix?
      >>
      >>No better than bicyclists riding on the sidewalk, I'm afraid.
      >
      >Certainly bikes don't belong on sidewalks. Why? Because they can't go
      >slow enough, they fall down, they can't go backwards, they aren't
      >very maneuverable, they're too big, etc. If only there was a vehicle
      >that addressed these shortcomings...

      Actually, bikes can mix fine with pedestrians on sidewalks,
      as long as there aren't too many of either and the cyclists
      are careful. Same is probably true of Segway, although I do
      wonder just how quickly a Segway can stop in an emergency;
      a bike can stop pretty quickly.

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Mark Burgess
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 5, 2001
        At 8:39 AM +0000 12/5/01, J.H. Crawford wrote:
        >interchangably as far as function. A competent cyclist can ride more
        >slowly than a pedestrian when necessary.

        ?? A pedestrian can go zero mph..

        >Actually, bikes can mix fine with pedestrians on sidewalks,

        Well, if you were walking and I were riding you'd want me on the street. ;-)

        >wonder just how quickly a Segway can stop in an emergency;
        >a bike can stop pretty quickly.

        That's a good question. I expect that if the guinea pigs this year
        find an emergency brake necessary one will get added to the Segway.

        But I think the question that raises is whether or not Segways will
        *need* to stop quickly as often as bikes do.

        As a driver I can't count the number of times I've seen (or nearly
        hit) cyclists who ride across streets or driveways without slowing
        down or considering the color of the traffic signal or whatever. I've
        ridden enough to know why: on a bike it's a hassle to stop at every
        potential hazard, especially if there are toe clips involved, no good
        pole to lean against while waiting, etc. Upshifting and downshifting
        can be tedious if it has to be done every block. For me at least
        there's a definite psychological inertia that's hard to overcome.

        OTOH when I am a pedestrian I don't mind stopping at corners and in
        fact feel safer doing so even if the law says I don't have to. I
        think Segwayists (?!) will feel more like pedestrians and will tend
        to travel with a similar level of caution.

        --
        Mark
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
          Any more news about this? S
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
            > Any more news about this? S

            =v= About the Segway, "the revolutionary device that runs
            entirely on hype?" No, but in _VeloNews_ somebody turned
            "Segway Human Transporter" into an acronym and wrote a funny
            screed with the title, "Who Needs This SHT?" You can find
            it here:

            http://www.maddogmedia.com/

            =v= Earlier, I mentioned that I was interested in a much better
            innovation, the Megway:

            http://web.0sil8.com/episodes/megway/

            I was particularly interested in the Meg Ryan model, and there
            have been some interesting developments there. The last time I
            was in a supermarket I saw a checkout rack headline in which she
            allegedly laments that nobody tries to pick her up when she goes
            to a bar. Well, my first thought was, "Where is this bar?" and
            my second thought was that, if she can't be picked up, motorists
            probably won't be able to fold her up and put her in a trunk.
            Good for her, but no doubt that means sales will suffer, and
            maybe the price will come down. A boon for us carfree folks!

            =v= But now I have another concern. You see, the Megway runs
            on a soy latte and an English muffin, but in her last movie,
            Meg Ryan hung out at Cafe Lalo, where lattes cost $4 apiece and
            you have to bring your own soymilk. More recently, I saw an ad
            for her new movie, in which she's jumping around in front of
            Petrossian, where lattes are $6 and, again, no soymilk.

            =v= So now I'm worried that, while the Meg Ryan model might be
            ideal for many of my needs, particularly in the area of comedy
            and romance, the cost of fuel might make her too expensive an
            alternative for everyday transportation. If I could adapt her
            to run on my homemade soy lattes (which are organic, cost much
            less, and IMHO taste much better), we might work things out.
            <_Jym_>
          • Simon Baddeley
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
              Thanks, Jym. Who knows, the thing might catch on but I don't think it will.
              I like your Megway though and I have no heart for mocking an invention into
              which someone has put so much creative investment. I was surprised Joel that
              thinks highly of it, but may be that's about being open to new ideas. You
              win some you lose some and some you just can't tell. I hope I am open too
              innovation. I like gadgets but I can't very excited by the Segway. It is
              ingenious and interesting but compared to a bicycle it lacks style. It
              requires too much passivity from its user - which would of course make it
              good for people with limited mobility, so maybe I'll come to one in later
              years. I do like the PowerTryke though:

              http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/cycles/pdq.htm

              The Powertryke is an electric powered front wheel with brakes and handlebars
              that attaches to almost any wheelchair. I am having one demonstrated in
              early Feb when I go to visit my mother because I think it can liberate
              people who are otherwise bound to normal wheel chair speeds. Her husband in
              his late 80s is missing getting out and about. this might help.

              I'll tell you what I think when I see the thing at work.

              Regards

              Simon

              34 Beaudesert Road
              Handsworth
              Birmingham B20 3TG
              United Kingdom
              00 44 121 554 9794
              00 44 7775 655842
              07775 655842
            • Doug Salzmann
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                At 04:40 PM Sunday 1/13/2002, Simon wrote:

                >I like your Megway though and I have no heart for mocking an invention into
                >which someone has put so much creative investment.

                Mocking an invention is not the same as mocking the inventor (although
                inventors will usually experience it that way).

                Segways, used on sidewalks/pavements, where the inventor intends them to be
                used, are just a new way to assault and intimidate pedestrians. Here's my
                slightly scatological mockery: <http://www.talkpath.com/sht>.

                We need to reject the idea that they can be operated safely in a pedestrian
                environment. They cannot be.

                Now, if the users want to operate them in the roadways, I'm all for
                it. Anything that slows down the cars.

                > I was surprised Joel that
                >thinks highly of it, but may be that's about being open to new ideas.

                Does he? I missed that. Well, Crawford is usually right about these
                things, but. . . not this time, if he supports powered vehicles in
                pedestrian space.

                >The Powertryke is an electric powered front wheel with brakes and handlebars
                >that attaches to almost any wheelchair. I am having one demonstrated in
                >early Feb when I go to visit my mother because I think it can liberate
                >people who are otherwise bound to normal wheel chair speeds. Her husband in
                >his late 80s is missing getting out and about. this might help.

                Devices like this should not be operated in pedestrian space at
                higher-than-walking-speed, either. Disability should not constitute
                license to intimidate and inconvenience others -- effectively turning the
                tables and disabling the pedestrians.

                -Doug
              • Jym Dyer
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                  > I like your Megway though ...

                  =v= I wish I could take credit, but somebody else came up
                  with that site.

                  > I have no heart for mocking an invention into which someone
                  > has put so much creative investment.

                  =v= Well, I think the invention is really impressive, and I'd
                  actually be very interested in trying one out. I have to admit
                  I'm as vulnerable to the charms of nifty gadgetry as any other
                  engineer. I just don't think it's something to redesign cities
                  around, and I think all the hyperbole to that effect deserves
                  a bit of parody.
                  <_Jym_>
                • Louis-Luc
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                    > Segways, used on sidewalks/pavements, where the inventor intends
                    > them to be
                    > used, are just a new way to assault and intimidate pedestrians.
                    > Here's my
                    > slightly scatological mockery: <http://www.talkpath.com/sht>.
                    >
                    > We need to reject the idea that they can be operated safely in a
                    > pedestrian
                    > environment. They cannot be.
                    >
                    > Now, if the users want to operate them in the roadways, I'm all for
                    > it. Anything that slows down the cars.

                    I really hope that Segways are to be a replacement/alternative to cars. If I
                    ever get the chance to use one, I'll be more than happy to take my place on
                    the road as a true vehicle, while looking at pedestrians on my right
                    enjoying themselves on the sidewalk. If everyone does see Segways as
                    vehicles, then motorists will find it normal to share the road with them,
                    just like sharing the road with cyclists. And as pedestrians, our job is to
                    use full width of the sidewalks; making Segwayists feeling they can't speed
                    up on sidewalks and their place is on the road -- to slow down cars :-)

                    Louis-Luc
                  • Jym Dyer
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                      > I really hope that Segways are to be a replacement/alternative
                      > to cars. If I ever get the chance to use one, I'll be more
                      > than happy to take my place on the road as a true vehicle ...

                      =v= Well, that's the crux of my complaint about the hype: it
                      was rolled out with much fanfare as a revolutionary device that
                      would replace the car, but when that first media splash ended,
                      they quietly dropped all mention of that vision.

                      =v= Take a look at their website now and you'll see nothing but
                      photos of people riding them on the sidewalks, and some babble
                      about "empowered pedestrians." There was also a _Salon_ article
                      in which Dean Kamen revealed that he didn't think much of the
                      whole idea of people walking from place to place. Ugh.

                      > If everyone does see Segways as vehicles, then motorists will
                      > find it normal to share the road with them, just like sharing
                      > the road with cyclists.

                      =v= Of course, they'll first have to learn that they need to
                      share the road with cyclists. :^|

                      =v= My concern is that the Segway will be consigned to bike
                      facilities, in much the way that California has led the nation
                      in clogging our bike lanes and paths with all manner of slow,
                      polluting motorized gizmos. Segways go an average of 11mph,
                      much slower than a bicycle.

                      =v= My other concern is that, wherever they end up, they'll be
                      operated by people with an overinflated sense of entitlement.
                      They'll have spent $3000 or more for this gizmo, and by God if
                      any old ladies with walkers or mere bicyclists get in their way,
                      they're gonna mow us down.
                      <_Jym_>
                    • joel crawfordd
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                        Hi All,

                        I'm e-mail crippled right now and have to post my
                        I do not check mail at the address from which I'm
                        sending, so do not reply to this address.

                        There has been some question regarding my position
                        on the Segway. It's not simple, so here goes:

                        The Segway does little or nothing that a bike does
                        not do, except that it may be useful for people like
                        my mother, who never leared to ride a bike and is
                        too old now.

                        That said, I can see it having some application is
                        two separate areas:

                        1. Within cities, it can be used in streets and
                        bike lanes as another form of personal transport.
                        Its 12.5 MPH speed is sufficiently high that it can
                        reasonably mix with bicycle traffic. (I know that
                        those of you who regard 30 MPH as a normal and
                        responsible speed to ride in dense urban areas will
                        not agree with this. Most people don't ride bikes
                        faster than 15 MPH, and I think all urban street
                        traffic should be limited to 15 MPH in all cases,
                        not excepting bikes. The danger to crossing
                        pedestrians is simply too great at higher speeds.

                        2. In other areas, I think the Segway can probably
                        be ridden safely on sidewalks (where these exist),
                        as long as the riders are responsible and yield to
                        pedestrians. We see the same sort of thing with bikes
                        in lower-density urban areas--they can be ridden on
                        sidewalks if the riders are responsible and careful.

                        As to the long-term effects of the Segway on urban
                        development, I'm inclined to think that they will
                        be minimal--they're too expensive to have a large
                        impact. They do have one nice attribute--they have
                        a small enough footprint that they can readily be
                        taken onto level-loading metros and are quite easy
                        to park in crowded urban areas. The size of bikes is
                        a fairly serious nuisance in their use in cities.

                        Regards,

                        J.H. Crawford

                        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                      • Doug Salzmann
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                          At 03:09 AM Monday 1/14/2002, Joel wrote:

                          >The Segway does little or nothing that a bike does
                          >not do, except that it may be useful for people like
                          >my mother, who never leared to ride a bike and is
                          >too old now.

                          I doubt that. Folks who can't walk very far in comfort are unlikely to be
                          able to stand on a Segway for very long. And Segway's only advantage over a
                          much-more-comfortable "mobility scooter" or powered wheelchair would be
                          that it could be operated at speeds that should be prohibited in pedestrian
                          space.

                          >1. Within cities, it can be used in streets and
                          >bike lanes as another form of personal transport.
                          >Its 12.5 MPH speed is sufficiently high that it can
                          >reasonably mix with bicycle traffic.

                          Agreed.

                          >2. In other areas, I think the Segway can probably
                          >be ridden safely on sidewalks (where these exist),
                          >as long as the riders are responsible and yield to
                          >pedestrians. We see the same sort of thing with bikes
                          >in lower-density urban areas--they can be ridden on
                          >sidewalks if the riders are responsible and careful.

                          I'm afraid the "if" describes a world that doesn't exist. I walk on shared
                          facilities in the Bay Area daily, and have walked and cycled on such
                          facilities in many other places. Careful, responsible behavior by
                          cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                          calendar-marking event. In general, they all whiz around recklessly,
                          overtaking much too closely and much too fast, without warning, riding two
                          or three abreast and forcing pedestrians off the edges of the
                          pathways,etc. They're in a hurry and they resent the presence of
                          pedestrians, which occasionally forces them to slow down, in violation of
                          their God-given rights. There's a reason that there are many more cycling
                          crashes per mile on shared facilities than on roads: Shared facilities are
                          inherently more dangerous.

                          The last thing we need is yet another vehicle.

                          -Doug
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                            Doug Salzmann wrote:

                            > I'm afraid the "if" describes a world that doesn't exist. I walk on shared
                            > facilities in the Bay Area daily, and have walked and cycled on such
                            > facilities in many other places. Careful, responsible behavior by
                            > cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                            > calendar-marking event.
                            And by pedestrians. I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                            bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                            exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                            are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                            they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care. It's one of the
                            few places in LA where one can indulge in athletic riding without having
                            to watch for cars, but instead one faces crowds of oblivious waddlers
                            trudging along three or four abreast, or just standing there, usually,
                            by some bizarre preference, in the middle of a blind turn. The path is
                            well-posted, but in spite of numerous accidents, no one cares much.
                            There's talk of building a separate path for bikes paralleling the first
                            one, a pretty ridiculous expense.

                            I LOVE walking for transport, in fact presently preferring it to
                            bicycing, but when I bike, which I also love, I do so becuase I wish to
                            go farther faster while still being engaged in the world. Politeness
                            and deference need to exist on all sides.

                            Then again, people walk along railroad tracks and are regularly
                            macerated by trains here, so I shouldn't expect much. (Somehow they try
                            to blame the trains...!)

                            Richard
                            http://www.living-room.org
                            http://www.newcolonist.com

                            "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
                            just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
                            to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

                            Lu Hsun
                          • Doug Salzmann
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                              I said:
                              > > Careful, responsible behavior by
                              > > cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                              > > calendar-marking event.

                              And Rick responded:

                              >And by pedestrians.

                              Absolutely.

                              > I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                              >bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                              >exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                              >are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                              >they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care.

                              Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                              stretch?

                              >I LOVE walking for transport, in fact presently preferring it to
                              >bicycing, but when I bike, which I also love, I do so becuase I wish to
                              >go farther faster while still being engaged in the world. Politeness
                              >and deference need to exist on all sides.

                              Indeed. However, on shared facilities, all other users must yield to
                              pedestrians and operate in such manner as to avoid startling, intimidating,
                              assaulting and terrorizing walkers. Among other things, that means, like
                              it or not, operating at near-walking speed when passing/overtaking
                              pedestrians. They won't do that, though, absent enforcement that just
                              doesn't happen. So, the best practice is to severely restrict the
                              operation of all vehicles in pedestrian space.

                              Bicycles, Segways, etc. belong on the roadway.

                              >Then again, people walk along railroad tracks and are regularly
                              >macerated by trains here, so I shouldn't expect much. (Somehow they try
                              >to blame the trains...!)

                              Not me. I blame the planners.

                              -Doug
                            • Jym Dyer
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                > serving the same stretch?

                                =v= Yeah, it's called the beach.
                                <_Jym_>
                              • Doug Salzmann
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                  I asked:

                                  > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                  > > serving the same stretch?

                                  And Jym responded:

                                  >=v= Yeah, it's called the beach.

                                  Cute. But I'm going to assume that Jym is serious.

                                  In which case, the obvious question would be, "So, why isn't that
                                  sufficient for cycling?"

                                  And the answer would be that ordinarily-equipped bicycles don't operate
                                  well in sand, and that it would be unreasonable to expect cyclists to pedal
                                  along the beach for long distances -- the speed is too slow and the
                                  exertion too great. Likewise, aimless strolling along the beach is
                                  wonderful recreation, and may even be good exercise for many. However,
                                  walking in sand for long distances is strenuous, quite difficult for many
                                  people, and should no more be required or expected of pedestrians than
                                  riding in sand should be expected of cyclists.

                                  So, my question of Rick remains:

                                  > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                  > > serving the same stretch?

                                  -Doug
                                • Simon Baddeley
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                    Doug - I shouldn't have said "speeds". You are quite right. I liked the
                                    PowerTryke because it appears to allow wheelchair users to go on forest
                                    tracks with reasonable gradients at a little faster than walkers and
                                    certainly better than the wheel chair. In towns it seems it may be able to
                                    get you round rather better than a wheel chair.
                                    Regards
                                    Simon

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                      Doug Salzmann wrote:

                                      > > I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                                      > >bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                                      > >exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                                      > >are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                                      > >they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care.
                                      >
                                      > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                                      > stretch?

                                      Yes, indeed, and bikes are not permitted on it. (In some strecthes of
                                      this twenty-mile beach, the facility is shared, and then I do slow
                                      down.)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 15, 2002
                                        At 09:08 PM Monday 1/14/2002, Rick wrote:

                                        > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                                        > > stretch?
                                        >
                                        >Yes, indeed, and bikes are not permitted on it. (In some strecthes of
                                        >this twenty-mile beach, the facility is shared, and then I do slow
                                        >down.)

                                        Well, in that case, if you can't avoid colliding with these scofflaws, try
                                        to pick affluent ones. ;-)

                                        -Doug