Re: Segway

  • Mark Burgess
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 4, 2001
      "J.H. Crawford" said:
      >Let's not lose sight of the fact that Segway is nothing more than a
      >substitute for a bike.

      Why do you say that? It can't go as fast as a bike, it *can* go much
      slower than a bike (including coming to a dead stop while still
      carrying its passenger), it can turn around on a sidewalk, it can be
      used by folks who are semi-ambulatory (wearing a cast or whatever),
      it can go backwards, etc. etc. I don't really see either its form or
      its functionality as being bike-like at all.

      "Lanyon, Ryan" said:
      >I don't see these as being any different than Razor Scooters.

      You should compare the two a little more closely. Segway slightly
      resembles a scooter in form: you stand on it (though front-facing
      rather than side-facing) and hold a handle (a non-pivoting one
      however); it has two wheels (though with one axle rather than two).
      But functionality-wise it's not scooter-like in any way whatsoever.
      Really a scooter is a pedal-free, seatless bicycle, with limitations
      similar to those of a bike.

      If Segway is a "substitute" for anything it would be roller skates.

      > >3. How well will pedestrians and HTs really mix?
      >
      >No better than bicyclists riding on the sidewalk, I'm afraid.

      Certainly bikes don't belong on sidewalks. Why? Because they can't go
      slow enough, they fall down, they can't go backwards, they aren't
      very maneuverable, they're too big, etc. If only there was a vehicle
      that addressed these shortcomings...

      --
      Mark
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 5, 2001
        Mark Burgess said:

        >>Let's not lose sight of the fact that Segway is nothing more than a
        >>substitute for a bike.
        >
        >Why do you say that? It can't go as fast as a bike, it *can* go much
        >slower than a bike (including coming to a dead stop while still
        >carrying its passenger), it can turn around on a sidewalk, it can be
        >used by folks who are semi-ambulatory (wearing a cast or whatever),
        >it can go backwards, etc. etc. I don't really see either its form or
        >its functionality as being bike-like at all.

        I don't regard these as terribly important differences; the main
        thingis that it is much faster than walking and about the same
        speed as cycling (saving aside those on racing bikes). There
        are differences, of course, but for most users they would substitute
        interchangably as far as function. A competent cyclist can ride more
        slowly than a pedestrian when necessary.

        >> >3. How well will pedestrians and HTs really mix?
        >>
        >>No better than bicyclists riding on the sidewalk, I'm afraid.
        >
        >Certainly bikes don't belong on sidewalks. Why? Because they can't go
        >slow enough, they fall down, they can't go backwards, they aren't
        >very maneuverable, they're too big, etc. If only there was a vehicle
        >that addressed these shortcomings...

        Actually, bikes can mix fine with pedestrians on sidewalks,
        as long as there aren't too many of either and the cyclists
        are careful. Same is probably true of Segway, although I do
        wonder just how quickly a Segway can stop in an emergency;
        a bike can stop pretty quickly.

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Mark Burgess
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 5, 2001
          At 8:39 AM +0000 12/5/01, J.H. Crawford wrote:
          >interchangably as far as function. A competent cyclist can ride more
          >slowly than a pedestrian when necessary.

          ?? A pedestrian can go zero mph..

          >Actually, bikes can mix fine with pedestrians on sidewalks,

          Well, if you were walking and I were riding you'd want me on the street. ;-)

          >wonder just how quickly a Segway can stop in an emergency;
          >a bike can stop pretty quickly.

          That's a good question. I expect that if the guinea pigs this year
          find an emergency brake necessary one will get added to the Segway.

          But I think the question that raises is whether or not Segways will
          *need* to stop quickly as often as bikes do.

          As a driver I can't count the number of times I've seen (or nearly
          hit) cyclists who ride across streets or driveways without slowing
          down or considering the color of the traffic signal or whatever. I've
          ridden enough to know why: on a bike it's a hassle to stop at every
          potential hazard, especially if there are toe clips involved, no good
          pole to lean against while waiting, etc. Upshifting and downshifting
          can be tedious if it has to be done every block. For me at least
          there's a definite psychological inertia that's hard to overcome.

          OTOH when I am a pedestrian I don't mind stopping at corners and in
          fact feel safer doing so even if the law says I don't have to. I
          think Segwayists (?!) will feel more like pedestrians and will tend
          to travel with a similar level of caution.

          --
          Mark
        • Simon Baddeley
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
            Any more news about this? S
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
              > Any more news about this? S

              =v= About the Segway, "the revolutionary device that runs
              entirely on hype?" No, but in _VeloNews_ somebody turned
              "Segway Human Transporter" into an acronym and wrote a funny
              screed with the title, "Who Needs This SHT?" You can find
              it here:

              http://www.maddogmedia.com/

              =v= Earlier, I mentioned that I was interested in a much better
              innovation, the Megway:

              http://web.0sil8.com/episodes/megway/

              I was particularly interested in the Meg Ryan model, and there
              have been some interesting developments there. The last time I
              was in a supermarket I saw a checkout rack headline in which she
              allegedly laments that nobody tries to pick her up when she goes
              to a bar. Well, my first thought was, "Where is this bar?" and
              my second thought was that, if she can't be picked up, motorists
              probably won't be able to fold her up and put her in a trunk.
              Good for her, but no doubt that means sales will suffer, and
              maybe the price will come down. A boon for us carfree folks!

              =v= But now I have another concern. You see, the Megway runs
              on a soy latte and an English muffin, but in her last movie,
              Meg Ryan hung out at Cafe Lalo, where lattes cost $4 apiece and
              you have to bring your own soymilk. More recently, I saw an ad
              for her new movie, in which she's jumping around in front of
              Petrossian, where lattes are $6 and, again, no soymilk.

              =v= So now I'm worried that, while the Meg Ryan model might be
              ideal for many of my needs, particularly in the area of comedy
              and romance, the cost of fuel might make her too expensive an
              alternative for everyday transportation. If I could adapt her
              to run on my homemade soy lattes (which are organic, cost much
              less, and IMHO taste much better), we might work things out.
              <_Jym_>
            • Simon Baddeley
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                Thanks, Jym. Who knows, the thing might catch on but I don't think it will.
                I like your Megway though and I have no heart for mocking an invention into
                which someone has put so much creative investment. I was surprised Joel that
                thinks highly of it, but may be that's about being open to new ideas. You
                win some you lose some and some you just can't tell. I hope I am open too
                innovation. I like gadgets but I can't very excited by the Segway. It is
                ingenious and interesting but compared to a bicycle it lacks style. It
                requires too much passivity from its user - which would of course make it
                good for people with limited mobility, so maybe I'll come to one in later
                years. I do like the PowerTryke though:

                http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/cycles/pdq.htm

                The Powertryke is an electric powered front wheel with brakes and handlebars
                that attaches to almost any wheelchair. I am having one demonstrated in
                early Feb when I go to visit my mother because I think it can liberate
                people who are otherwise bound to normal wheel chair speeds. Her husband in
                his late 80s is missing getting out and about. this might help.

                I'll tell you what I think when I see the thing at work.

                Regards

                Simon

                34 Beaudesert Road
                Handsworth
                Birmingham B20 3TG
                United Kingdom
                00 44 121 554 9794
                00 44 7775 655842
                07775 655842
              • Doug Salzmann
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                  At 04:40 PM Sunday 1/13/2002, Simon wrote:

                  >I like your Megway though and I have no heart for mocking an invention into
                  >which someone has put so much creative investment.

                  Mocking an invention is not the same as mocking the inventor (although
                  inventors will usually experience it that way).

                  Segways, used on sidewalks/pavements, where the inventor intends them to be
                  used, are just a new way to assault and intimidate pedestrians. Here's my
                  slightly scatological mockery: <http://www.talkpath.com/sht>.

                  We need to reject the idea that they can be operated safely in a pedestrian
                  environment. They cannot be.

                  Now, if the users want to operate them in the roadways, I'm all for
                  it. Anything that slows down the cars.

                  > I was surprised Joel that
                  >thinks highly of it, but may be that's about being open to new ideas.

                  Does he? I missed that. Well, Crawford is usually right about these
                  things, but. . . not this time, if he supports powered vehicles in
                  pedestrian space.

                  >The Powertryke is an electric powered front wheel with brakes and handlebars
                  >that attaches to almost any wheelchair. I am having one demonstrated in
                  >early Feb when I go to visit my mother because I think it can liberate
                  >people who are otherwise bound to normal wheel chair speeds. Her husband in
                  >his late 80s is missing getting out and about. this might help.

                  Devices like this should not be operated in pedestrian space at
                  higher-than-walking-speed, either. Disability should not constitute
                  license to intimidate and inconvenience others -- effectively turning the
                  tables and disabling the pedestrians.

                  -Doug
                • Jym Dyer
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                    > I like your Megway though ...

                    =v= I wish I could take credit, but somebody else came up
                    with that site.

                    > I have no heart for mocking an invention into which someone
                    > has put so much creative investment.

                    =v= Well, I think the invention is really impressive, and I'd
                    actually be very interested in trying one out. I have to admit
                    I'm as vulnerable to the charms of nifty gadgetry as any other
                    engineer. I just don't think it's something to redesign cities
                    around, and I think all the hyperbole to that effect deserves
                    a bit of parody.
                    <_Jym_>
                  • Louis-Luc
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                      > Segways, used on sidewalks/pavements, where the inventor intends
                      > them to be
                      > used, are just a new way to assault and intimidate pedestrians.
                      > Here's my
                      > slightly scatological mockery: <http://www.talkpath.com/sht>.
                      >
                      > We need to reject the idea that they can be operated safely in a
                      > pedestrian
                      > environment. They cannot be.
                      >
                      > Now, if the users want to operate them in the roadways, I'm all for
                      > it. Anything that slows down the cars.

                      I really hope that Segways are to be a replacement/alternative to cars. If I
                      ever get the chance to use one, I'll be more than happy to take my place on
                      the road as a true vehicle, while looking at pedestrians on my right
                      enjoying themselves on the sidewalk. If everyone does see Segways as
                      vehicles, then motorists will find it normal to share the road with them,
                      just like sharing the road with cyclists. And as pedestrians, our job is to
                      use full width of the sidewalks; making Segwayists feeling they can't speed
                      up on sidewalks and their place is on the road -- to slow down cars :-)

                      Louis-Luc
                    • Jym Dyer
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 13, 2002
                        > I really hope that Segways are to be a replacement/alternative
                        > to cars. If I ever get the chance to use one, I'll be more
                        > than happy to take my place on the road as a true vehicle ...

                        =v= Well, that's the crux of my complaint about the hype: it
                        was rolled out with much fanfare as a revolutionary device that
                        would replace the car, but when that first media splash ended,
                        they quietly dropped all mention of that vision.

                        =v= Take a look at their website now and you'll see nothing but
                        photos of people riding them on the sidewalks, and some babble
                        about "empowered pedestrians." There was also a _Salon_ article
                        in which Dean Kamen revealed that he didn't think much of the
                        whole idea of people walking from place to place. Ugh.

                        > If everyone does see Segways as vehicles, then motorists will
                        > find it normal to share the road with them, just like sharing
                        > the road with cyclists.

                        =v= Of course, they'll first have to learn that they need to
                        share the road with cyclists. :^|

                        =v= My concern is that the Segway will be consigned to bike
                        facilities, in much the way that California has led the nation
                        in clogging our bike lanes and paths with all manner of slow,
                        polluting motorized gizmos. Segways go an average of 11mph,
                        much slower than a bicycle.

                        =v= My other concern is that, wherever they end up, they'll be
                        operated by people with an overinflated sense of entitlement.
                        They'll have spent $3000 or more for this gizmo, and by God if
                        any old ladies with walkers or mere bicyclists get in their way,
                        they're gonna mow us down.
                        <_Jym_>
                      • joel crawfordd
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                          Hi All,

                          I'm e-mail crippled right now and have to post my
                          I do not check mail at the address from which I'm
                          sending, so do not reply to this address.

                          There has been some question regarding my position
                          on the Segway. It's not simple, so here goes:

                          The Segway does little or nothing that a bike does
                          not do, except that it may be useful for people like
                          my mother, who never leared to ride a bike and is
                          too old now.

                          That said, I can see it having some application is
                          two separate areas:

                          1. Within cities, it can be used in streets and
                          bike lanes as another form of personal transport.
                          Its 12.5 MPH speed is sufficiently high that it can
                          reasonably mix with bicycle traffic. (I know that
                          those of you who regard 30 MPH as a normal and
                          responsible speed to ride in dense urban areas will
                          not agree with this. Most people don't ride bikes
                          faster than 15 MPH, and I think all urban street
                          traffic should be limited to 15 MPH in all cases,
                          not excepting bikes. The danger to crossing
                          pedestrians is simply too great at higher speeds.

                          2. In other areas, I think the Segway can probably
                          be ridden safely on sidewalks (where these exist),
                          as long as the riders are responsible and yield to
                          pedestrians. We see the same sort of thing with bikes
                          in lower-density urban areas--they can be ridden on
                          sidewalks if the riders are responsible and careful.

                          As to the long-term effects of the Segway on urban
                          development, I'm inclined to think that they will
                          be minimal--they're too expensive to have a large
                          impact. They do have one nice attribute--they have
                          a small enough footprint that they can readily be
                          taken onto level-loading metros and are quite easy
                          to park in crowded urban areas. The size of bikes is
                          a fairly serious nuisance in their use in cities.

                          Regards,

                          J.H. Crawford

                          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                        • Doug Salzmann
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                            At 03:09 AM Monday 1/14/2002, Joel wrote:

                            >The Segway does little or nothing that a bike does
                            >not do, except that it may be useful for people like
                            >my mother, who never leared to ride a bike and is
                            >too old now.

                            I doubt that. Folks who can't walk very far in comfort are unlikely to be
                            able to stand on a Segway for very long. And Segway's only advantage over a
                            much-more-comfortable "mobility scooter" or powered wheelchair would be
                            that it could be operated at speeds that should be prohibited in pedestrian
                            space.

                            >1. Within cities, it can be used in streets and
                            >bike lanes as another form of personal transport.
                            >Its 12.5 MPH speed is sufficiently high that it can
                            >reasonably mix with bicycle traffic.

                            Agreed.

                            >2. In other areas, I think the Segway can probably
                            >be ridden safely on sidewalks (where these exist),
                            >as long as the riders are responsible and yield to
                            >pedestrians. We see the same sort of thing with bikes
                            >in lower-density urban areas--they can be ridden on
                            >sidewalks if the riders are responsible and careful.

                            I'm afraid the "if" describes a world that doesn't exist. I walk on shared
                            facilities in the Bay Area daily, and have walked and cycled on such
                            facilities in many other places. Careful, responsible behavior by
                            cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                            calendar-marking event. In general, they all whiz around recklessly,
                            overtaking much too closely and much too fast, without warning, riding two
                            or three abreast and forcing pedestrians off the edges of the
                            pathways,etc. They're in a hurry and they resent the presence of
                            pedestrians, which occasionally forces them to slow down, in violation of
                            their God-given rights. There's a reason that there are many more cycling
                            crashes per mile on shared facilities than on roads: Shared facilities are
                            inherently more dangerous.

                            The last thing we need is yet another vehicle.

                            -Doug
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                              Doug Salzmann wrote:

                              > I'm afraid the "if" describes a world that doesn't exist. I walk on shared
                              > facilities in the Bay Area daily, and have walked and cycled on such
                              > facilities in many other places. Careful, responsible behavior by
                              > cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                              > calendar-marking event.
                              And by pedestrians. I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                              bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                              exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                              are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                              they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care. It's one of the
                              few places in LA where one can indulge in athletic riding without having
                              to watch for cars, but instead one faces crowds of oblivious waddlers
                              trudging along three or four abreast, or just standing there, usually,
                              by some bizarre preference, in the middle of a blind turn. The path is
                              well-posted, but in spite of numerous accidents, no one cares much.
                              There's talk of building a separate path for bikes paralleling the first
                              one, a pretty ridiculous expense.

                              I LOVE walking for transport, in fact presently preferring it to
                              bicycing, but when I bike, which I also love, I do so becuase I wish to
                              go farther faster while still being engaged in the world. Politeness
                              and deference need to exist on all sides.

                              Then again, people walk along railroad tracks and are regularly
                              macerated by trains here, so I shouldn't expect much. (Somehow they try
                              to blame the trains...!)

                              Richard
                              http://www.living-room.org
                              http://www.newcolonist.com

                              "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
                              just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
                              to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

                              Lu Hsun
                            • Doug Salzmann
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                I said:
                                > > Careful, responsible behavior by
                                > > cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
                                > > calendar-marking event.

                                And Rick responded:

                                >And by pedestrians.

                                Absolutely.

                                > I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                                >bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                                >exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                                >are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                                >they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care.

                                Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                                stretch?

                                >I LOVE walking for transport, in fact presently preferring it to
                                >bicycing, but when I bike, which I also love, I do so becuase I wish to
                                >go farther faster while still being engaged in the world. Politeness
                                >and deference need to exist on all sides.

                                Indeed. However, on shared facilities, all other users must yield to
                                pedestrians and operate in such manner as to avoid startling, intimidating,
                                assaulting and terrorizing walkers. Among other things, that means, like
                                it or not, operating at near-walking speed when passing/overtaking
                                pedestrians. They won't do that, though, absent enforcement that just
                                doesn't happen. So, the best practice is to severely restrict the
                                operation of all vehicles in pedestrian space.

                                Bicycles, Segways, etc. belong on the roadway.

                                >Then again, people walk along railroad tracks and are regularly
                                >macerated by trains here, so I shouldn't expect much. (Somehow they try
                                >to blame the trains...!)

                                Not me. I blame the planners.

                                -Doug
                              • Jym Dyer
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                  > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                  > serving the same stretch?

                                  =v= Yeah, it's called the beach.
                                  <_Jym_>
                                • Doug Salzmann
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                    I asked:

                                    > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                    > > serving the same stretch?

                                    And Jym responded:

                                    >=v= Yeah, it's called the beach.

                                    Cute. But I'm going to assume that Jym is serious.

                                    In which case, the obvious question would be, "So, why isn't that
                                    sufficient for cycling?"

                                    And the answer would be that ordinarily-equipped bicycles don't operate
                                    well in sand, and that it would be unreasonable to expect cyclists to pedal
                                    along the beach for long distances -- the speed is too slow and the
                                    exertion too great. Likewise, aimless strolling along the beach is
                                    wonderful recreation, and may even be good exercise for many. However,
                                    walking in sand for long distances is strenuous, quite difficult for many
                                    people, and should no more be required or expected of pedestrians than
                                    riding in sand should be expected of cyclists.

                                    So, my question of Rick remains:

                                    > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
                                    > > serving the same stretch?

                                    -Doug
                                  • Simon Baddeley
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                      Doug - I shouldn't have said "speeds". You are quite right. I liked the
                                      PowerTryke because it appears to allow wheelchair users to go on forest
                                      tracks with reasonable gradients at a little faster than walkers and
                                      certainly better than the wheel chair. In towns it seems it may be able to
                                      get you round rather better than a wheel chair.
                                      Regards
                                      Simon

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 14, 2002
                                        Doug Salzmann wrote:

                                        > > I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
                                        > >bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
                                        > >exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
                                        > >are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
                                        > >they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care.
                                        >
                                        > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                                        > stretch?

                                        Yes, indeed, and bikes are not permitted on it. (In some strecthes of
                                        this twenty-mile beach, the facility is shared, and then I do slow
                                        down.)

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 15, 2002
                                          At 09:08 PM Monday 1/14/2002, Rick wrote:

                                          > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility serving the same
                                          > > stretch?
                                          >
                                          >Yes, indeed, and bikes are not permitted on it. (In some strecthes of
                                          >this twenty-mile beach, the facility is shared, and then I do slow
                                          >down.)

                                          Well, in that case, if you can't avoid colliding with these scofflaws, try
                                          to pick affluent ones. ;-)

                                          -Doug