RE: [carfree_cities] Segway / Ginger

  • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
      I agree with your point Ryan,

      The video even states that the Segway is intended to replace/improve
      walking. With a top speed of 12 mph, 15 mile battery and $5000 Canadian
      price tag, I would see this as being difficult to apply to a carfree city
      environment.

      1. If the Segway were used to provide transportation to the folks on the
      outskirts of the city districts, so that these districts could be bigger,
      where would we park these thousands of Segway's at the metro station?

      2. How would we ensure that these fairly expensive modes of transportation
      would be secured. Dutch bicycles are not typically worth stealing, but
      these Segway's might be.

      Any thoughts welcome,

      Pierre.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
        Pierre said:

        >I agree with your point Ryan,
        >
        >The video even states that the Segway is intended to replace/improve
        >walking. With a top speed of 12 mph, 15 mile battery and $5000 Canadian
        >price tag, I would see this as being difficult to apply to a carfree city
        >environment.

        If they become popular, I expect the price to fall below US$1000.

        >1. If the Segway were used to provide transportation to the folks on the
        >outskirts of the city districts, so that these districts could be bigger,
        >where would we park these thousands of Segway's at the metro station?

        As I noted in an earlier post, they're much easier to park than bikes,
        which are parked in huge numbers at Dutch RR stations. Also, you CAN
        take it with you, for use at the other end.

        >2. How would we ensure that these fairly expensive modes of transportation
        >would be secured. Dutch bicycles are not typically worth stealing, but
        >these Segway's might be.

        They're apparently password-protected or some such. And Dutch bikes
        ARE stolen, in huge numbers.

        I see serious problems here, but at the same time, I think I see
        some opportunities. At least people on Segways are participating
        in the street environment, and they're not sealed up in a cocoon.
        True, you don't get the exercize you need, but in really hot climates,
        most people will see this as a boon.

        The big problem is whether or not they'll be allowed to terrorize
        pedestrians on the sidewalks.

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Mark Rauterkus
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
          Hi All,

          Some of these quotes are killers.

          > The Segway offers no benefits to a motorist that are not provided by a car,
          > except for economy and emissions.

          Same as saying a $10 bill has no benefit over a $1,000 bill except economy.

          I dare say economy and environment are not exceptions that can be
          discounted. No benefits except ... -- was that a joke?

          > The Segway has no protection from the
          > elements, little capacity to bring goods, no 'luxuries' that have become so
          > ingrained into car and convenience culture. These factors are significant
          > barriers to first adopting use and then altering the built environment to
          > suit it.

          So, you wanted a more expensive -- more luxuries -- alternative. Well then,
          the economy is NOT a motivator for you then.

          > With current conditions, those who drive in downtown areas do so because
          > they come from far away and 'need' their car to get there, so they continue
          > through in their vehicles (public transit is the obvious 'alternative' to
          > this). Those who live closer already walk or cycle or use public transit -
          > should these trips be replaced by the Segway?

          I think you are wrong. Many cars in downtown areas are from locals.

          > The likelihood of drivers parking outside of downtown and Segwaying is
          > slightly better than parking and walking - but again, the pedestrian trip is
          > replaced moreso than the auto trip.

          Very good point.

          However, a car-free downtown is a benefit.

          > The fact that the manufacturer is
          > lobbying to permit these on sidewalks is proof positive of the real intended
          > market.

          Could we say a "lobby" effort has been made on the roll-out?
          Intentions mean little in the real world however.

          Ta.

          Mark Rauterkus
          Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com