Re: [carfree_cities] Segway

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      > The main issues for us is referred to near the end of the
      > article: will it be used on streets or on sidewalks? Of
      > course, we should favour the former.

      =v= I would go beyond "favour" to "demand." Things that go that
      fast simply do not have a place on the sidewalks.

      > I favour a major reform of city streets, reducing their speed
      > limit to that of a bicycle (and the segway), at least the curb
      > lanes.

      =v= This makes sense, but bear in mind that bicycles can be much
      faster than that, and should not have to be slowed down to its
      speed.

      =v= If, as it's being hyped, this gadget is going to replace
      cars in cities, then the solution is to remove curbside parking
      and give that part of the street over to the gadget. The rest
      of the street, of course, would go to the faster modes: bikes
      and transit.

      =v= If it doesn't live up to the hype (*gasp!*) and the gadget
      does not in fact replace cars in cities, then I fear we will see
      a push to put them into bike lanes and onto bike paths. We are
      now living this nightmare in California, where bike facilities
      have been invaded by motorized scooters and such.
      <_Jym_>