Re: [carfree_cities] Walking to Birmingham

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
      Many thanks for this, Joel

      From: J.H. Crawford <postmaster@...>
      To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 1:01 PM
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Walking to Birmingham

      Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
        Bill Telfer said:

        >Hmm,this comes up just as I read some new census statistics from Hong
        >Kong. These say that 12.3% of adults walk to work and 38% of
        >children walk to school. 48% of workers catch buses, 17.8% the MTR
        >(underground). It reads well, probably much better than many a
        >city. "Only" 6.9% private car. I want to try and figure out from
        >this and from actual vehicle numbers I suppose, why cars seem so
        >much more numerous, or is it just that every car in HK is out to get
        >me as i cycle to work.

        It's only a more extreme version of Manhattan--the place is swarming
        with cars, yet they provide a comparatively small proportion of
        mobility. Car usage expands to use the space made available to them.
        If NYC simply decided to double the width of sidewalks and convert
        lanes into bike-only lanes, then car usage would decline to the level
        at which congestion declined to levels drivers find acceptable.

        "Cars take all the room you give them."

        And car drivers may not be out to get you, but that doesn't mean
        they won't.

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
          > 'Thought For The Week':
          >
          > "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
          > on UK roads had been drinking. More than
          > a third were over the limit for driving."
          > I.A.M, winter issue.

          This is a red herring, as a) it is not illegal to walk while impaired
          (how does the impaired person, who is abandoning his car, get to a taxi
          or bus?) and b) it makes no reference to other factors that might have
          contributed to the collision.

          A severely impaired pedesrtians, usually, is very visibly so, which
          makes him/her as "off'limits" to drivers as disable, elderly, and very
          young pedestrians.

          Chris Bradshaw
          Ottawa