New Issue of New Colonist

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2001
      The December issue of The New Colonist is online now at
      http://www.newcolonist.com This month we explore Downtown Shopping,
      since many of you will be shopping for holiday gifts in the next few
      weeks; we will also present our usual slew of articles on a variety of
      topics, including Arianna Huffington's latest piece on SUVs and the flag
      frenzy, plus Street Food, Citysongs, Roadkill Bill, our editorials, and
      other regular features.

      Something please you excessively, or get you hot under the collar? We
      now have a bulletin board as well as our regular email forum; go to our
      Feedback section to join either one, or to read selected letters to the
      editor. All at The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
        Happy New Year to all, and wishes for a peaceful and prosperous time for
        all peoples in all places in this complicated world during the coming
        year....

        The New Colonist offers you our first issue of the year, now online and
        available at http://www.newcolonist.com This month's theme is Food in
        the City, so pull up a chair and dig in to articles on eating in LA,
        Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other cities, as well as stories on New
        Urbanist developments in Louisville, programs to create sustainable
        environmentally-clean businesses that also eliminate welfare, and the
        hassles in of living behind walls that are just too thin for privacy,
        plus our usual Citysongs and Editorials. All online today at
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        Richard

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2002
          The May issue of theh New Colonist is online and available at
          http://www.newcolonist.com This month we feature "Seers & Shapers,"
          people past and present whose efforts continue to nurture our cities and
          help them become the places that best can nurture our humanity. We
          include an interview with Jane Jacobs and stories about George Pullman,
          Jane Addams, J. H. Crawford, and Chicago neighborhood activist Enrique
          Salgado, as well as most of our usual features and editorials. All at

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
            The New Colonist presents its November 2002 issue, online today at
            http://www.newcolonist.com This month we are presenting The Best of
            The New Colonist, a selection of our favorite articles, essays, and
            features from the last two years. Click on over and see what you've
            missed if you just got to know us, or, if you're one of our "charter
            readers," see whether you agree with our selections. And don't forget
            our editorials, new for this month, with links to the editors' favorites
            listed beneath each excerpt. All on The New Colonist, at

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
              Hello All--

              The August issue of The New Colonist is now online at
              http://www.newcolonist.com This month's feature articles cover:

              *The Spamming of Boston, by Jane Holtz Kay
              *Light Rail and Omaha, by Eric C. Miller and Gerald Kopiasz

              We also present our usual editorials and features, including:

              *We Must Keep Going, Richard Risemberg's musings on the driving,
              solitude, tragedy, and age
              *Yesterday and Tomorrow, Eric Miller's tale of two cities
              *Spitak, the wonderful LA bakery with the awful name

              For subscribers, there are now nearly 500 articles, editorials, essays,
              and reviews in our archives...and for non-members, subscriptions are on
              sale now: join up for only $2.99 for three months! Just click on the
              orange "Subscribe" link on the left side of the homepage.

              The New Colonist...we're about life in the city!

              http://www.living-room.org
              http://www.newcolonist.com

              "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
              an obligation; every possession, a duty."
              John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2003
                Hello All--

                The November issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                http://www.newcolonist.com (We are publishing a day early this time to
                accommodate staff vacations.)

                Among our offerings this month are:

                *The Property Rights Hypocrisy,by Keith Schneider
                *If We Change It, They Will Come, by Eric Miller
                *Brozers: Burgers in Tokyo, by Mike L. Wong

                Plus our editorials:

                *Space Adventure, by Richard Risemberg
                *Pittsburgh Pilgrimage, by Eric Miller

                And of course there is our archive of over 500 articles, essays,
                reviews, and more, much of it illustrated with fine photography, and all
                of it dedicated to urban living, community, sustainability, and a good
                life for all.

                So click on over to http://www.newcolonist.com and magnify your world!

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
                  Well, another month has come, and so here's the latest issue of the New
                  Colonist, online now at http://www.newcolonist.com For December we
                  feature the following articles, editorials, and reviews:

                  *Lighting Up Pittsburgh
                  Discover a new holiday tradition in a reinvented city

                  *Striking It Rich in St. Louis Groceries
                  A grocery strike sends the author on a voyage of discovery

                  *A Tale of Two Spaces
                  Richard Risemberg explores two modern-day souks in Los Angeles

                  *Residents
                  Eric Miller covers the forgotten value in the downtown equation

                  *Book Review: The Voluntary City

                  *Street Food: Dim Sum on Lake Erie

                  Plus our huge sustainability and urban lifestyle archive, our City
                  Pages, and our Corner Store, all at http://www.newcolonist.com for one
                  and all to enjoy.

                  Thnak you,

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
                    Welcome to 2004 and another new issue of the New Colonist! Go to
                    http://www.newcolonist.com to read our latest articles, including:

                    *What Are They Afraid Of?, Keith Schneider's analysis of conservative
                    opposition to the growth of Smart Growth

                    *Pedestrian Streets, a photo essay exploring the phenomenon in Japan,
                    Argentina, and Los Angeles

                    *A Wish for Your City, where New Colonist readers tell the world what
                    they'd like to see happen in their towns in 2004

                    And your editors' personal wish lists for Pittsburgh and Los Angeles,
                    along with over 500 articles, essays, and reviews in our archives, all
                    at http://www.newcolonist.com, and always free.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 29, 2004
                      The March issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                      http://www.newcolonist.com

                      This month's features:

                      *Sixty Days, Next Year
                      C. Haynes presents the diary of an ordinary American in the
                      extraordinary days after the fall of the House of Saud and the collapse
                      of the world oil market....

                      *Home Sick
                      Richard Risemberg turns sick days into an opportunity to reflect on the
                      differences between the inner suburb where he grew up and the vibrant
                      city neighborhood, only three miles away, where he lives now.

                      *"This Old House" and Neighborhood Rejuvenation
                      Eric Miller exposes the hidden bargains of America's oldest
                      neighborhoods, which present a chance to buy into both the real estate
                      market and the future of humanity on the cheap.

                      *Concierge
                      Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                      weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                      calculator, with more on the way!

                      *Vox Civitatis
                      Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                      assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                      state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                      And of course a wealth of
                      reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our more than
                      500-article Archive!

                      All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1, 2004
                        The May issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                        http://www.newcolonist.com!

                        This month's features:

                        * Waste Treatment Gets a New Look in Japan
                        Mike Wong visits the garbage dump for a very pleasant outing....
                        * Iraq, Spring 2004
                        Richard Risemberg responds to Nicholas Kristof's call for oil war
                        poetry....
                        * Cities and the Seeds of Change
                        Eric Miller explores the role of today's cities as nurseries of
                        social change....
                        * Concierge
                        Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                        weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                        calculator, with more on the way!
                        * Vox Civitatis
                        Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                        assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                        state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                        And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
                        in our more than 500-article Archive!
                        http://www.living-room.org
                        http://www.newcolonist.com

                        "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                        will not even be human."

                        RR
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                          The February issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                          http://www.newcolonist.com!

                          This month's features:

                          • Twin Cities Turnaround
                          Karen Sandness finds her hometown's finally growing up....
                          • Our Own Day Here
                          What is culture really worth? What does it mean?...
                          • Saving the City
                          One house at a time....
                          • Concierge
                          Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                          forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                            The July issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at http://www.newcolonist.com!
                            This month's features:

                            Tales from a Chicago Coffeehouse
                            Stories from a paradigmatic urban place....

                            Sense & Subsidy
                            Hypocrisy and community battle it out on the streets....

                            How Did This House Get Like This?
                            Abandonment and revival in Pittsburgh....

                            Concierge
                            Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!

                            Vox Civitatis
                            Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                            And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our comprehensive Archive!