Re: [carfree_cities] Walking to Birmingham

  • Mark Rauterkus
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
      Roy P asked:

      > "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
      > on UK roads had been drinking. More than
      > a third were over the limit for driving."
      > I.A.M, winter issue.
      >
      > What is the man getting at? What's the hint? I'll have to drop him a line!!

      To be drunk is dangerous. Drunks do dumb and dangerous things. Drinking
      impars judgements.

      What is of not and important IMHO -- how many is 40%? And, how many
      accidents by % are with drivers that had been drinking? How many of the
      drinking pedestrians killed were injured by drunk vs. sober drivers? And,
      how many drunk pedistrians are in no accidents?

      Ta.

      Mark Rauterkus
      Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com
    • Roy Preston
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
        >how many is 40%? And, how many. . .

        True, Mark. However, I suspect the *real* reason for this 'Thought
        For The Week' is to show that, maybe, the pedestrians, under the
        influence, may well be responsible for their own deaths? This is how
        it came across to me initially, and is what sticks in my throat!!

        Roy P
      • telomsha@netvigator.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@c...> wrote:

          > Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:
          >
          > http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?
          CatID=4&DocID=866&De

          > "People on low incomes and those in urban areas walk the most. They
          also encounter the worst environments. This is starkly illustrated by
          the fact that children from the poorest households are over four
          times more likely to be killed as pedestrians than those from the
          richest ones. The poor state of many streets and public spaces adds
          to the pressure on economically mobile households to leave run-down
          city neighbourhoods for cleaner, safer suburbs or the countryside
          beyond."

          Hmm,this comes up just as I read some new census statistics from Hong
          Kong. These say that 12.3% of adults walk to work and 38% of
          children walk to school. 48% of workers catch buses, 17.8% the MTR
          (underground). It reads well, probably much better than many a
          city. "Only" 6.9% private car. I want to try and figure out from
          this and from actual vehicle numbers I suppose, why cars seem so
          much more numerous, or is it just that every car in HK is out to get
          me as i cycle to work.

          Bill Telfer
        • Simon Baddeley
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
            Many thanks for this, Joel

            Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
              Bill Telfer said:

              >Hmm,this comes up just as I read some new census statistics from Hong
              >Kong. These say that 12.3% of adults walk to work and 38% of
              >children walk to school. 48% of workers catch buses, 17.8% the MTR
              >(underground). It reads well, probably much better than many a
              >city. "Only" 6.9% private car. I want to try and figure out from
              >this and from actual vehicle numbers I suppose, why cars seem so
              >much more numerous, or is it just that every car in HK is out to get
              >me as i cycle to work.

              It's only a more extreme version of Manhattan--the place is swarming
              with cars, yet they provide a comparatively small proportion of
              mobility. Car usage expands to use the space made available to them.
              If NYC simply decided to double the width of sidewalks and convert
              lanes into bike-only lanes, then car usage would decline to the level
              at which congestion declined to levels drivers find acceptable.

              "Cars take all the room you give them."

              And car drivers may not be out to get you, but that doesn't mean
              they won't.

              -- ### --

              J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
              postmaster@... Carfree.com
            • Chris Bradshaw
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                > 'Thought For The Week':
                >
                > "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
                > on UK roads had been drinking. More than
                > a third were over the limit for driving."
                > I.A.M, winter issue.

                This is a red herring, as a) it is not illegal to walk while impaired
                (how does the impaired person, who is abandoning his car, get to a taxi
                or bus?) and b) it makes no reference to other factors that might have
                contributed to the collision.

                A severely impaired pedesrtians, usually, is very visibly so, which
                makes him/her as "off'limits" to drivers as disable, elderly, and very
                young pedestrians.

                Chris Bradshaw
                Ottawa