Re: [carfree_cities] Walking to Birmingham

  • Roy Preston
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
      >Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:

      My browser doesn't want to know? ;-)
      However, on a similar note regarding pedestrians, the Editor of our
      local newspaper considered the following worthy for this week's
      'Thought For The Week':

      "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
      on UK roads had been drinking. More than
      a third were over the limit for driving."
      I.A.M, winter issue.

      What is the man getting at? What's the hint? I'll have to drop him a line!!

      Roy P
    • Mark Rauterkus
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
        Roy P asked:

        > "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
        > on UK roads had been drinking. More than
        > a third were over the limit for driving."
        > I.A.M, winter issue.
        >
        > What is the man getting at? What's the hint? I'll have to drop him a line!!

        To be drunk is dangerous. Drunks do dumb and dangerous things. Drinking
        impars judgements.

        What is of not and important IMHO -- how many is 40%? And, how many
        accidents by % are with drivers that had been drinking? How many of the
        drinking pedestrians killed were injured by drunk vs. sober drivers? And,
        how many drunk pedistrians are in no accidents?

        Ta.

        Mark Rauterkus
        Mark@... http://Rauterkus.com
      • Roy Preston
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
          >how many is 40%? And, how many. . .

          True, Mark. However, I suspect the *real* reason for this 'Thought
          For The Week' is to show that, maybe, the pedestrians, under the
          influence, may well be responsible for their own deaths? This is how
          it came across to me initially, and is what sticks in my throat!!

          Roy P
        • telomsha@netvigator.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
            --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@c...> wrote:

            > Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:
            >
            > http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?
            CatID=4&DocID=866&De

            > "People on low incomes and those in urban areas walk the most. They
            also encounter the worst environments. This is starkly illustrated by
            the fact that children from the poorest households are over four
            times more likely to be killed as pedestrians than those from the
            richest ones. The poor state of many streets and public spaces adds
            to the pressure on economically mobile households to leave run-down
            city neighbourhoods for cleaner, safer suburbs or the countryside
            beyond."

            Hmm,this comes up just as I read some new census statistics from Hong
            Kong. These say that 12.3% of adults walk to work and 38% of
            children walk to school. 48% of workers catch buses, 17.8% the MTR
            (underground). It reads well, probably much better than many a
            city. "Only" 6.9% private car. I want to try and figure out from
            this and from actual vehicle numbers I suppose, why cars seem so
            much more numerous, or is it just that every car in HK is out to get
            me as i cycle to work.

            Bill Telfer
          • Simon Baddeley
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
              Many thanks for this, Joel

              Interesting article on the revitalization of Birmingham:
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                Bill Telfer said:

                >Hmm,this comes up just as I read some new census statistics from Hong
                >Kong. These say that 12.3% of adults walk to work and 38% of
                >children walk to school. 48% of workers catch buses, 17.8% the MTR
                >(underground). It reads well, probably much better than many a
                >city. "Only" 6.9% private car. I want to try and figure out from
                >this and from actual vehicle numbers I suppose, why cars seem so
                >much more numerous, or is it just that every car in HK is out to get
                >me as i cycle to work.

                It's only a more extreme version of Manhattan--the place is swarming
                with cars, yet they provide a comparatively small proportion of
                mobility. Car usage expands to use the space made available to them.
                If NYC simply decided to double the width of sidewalks and convert
                lanes into bike-only lanes, then car usage would decline to the level
                at which congestion declined to levels drivers find acceptable.

                "Cars take all the room you give them."

                And car drivers may not be out to get you, but that doesn't mean
                they won't.

                -- ### --

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com
              • Chris Bradshaw
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                  > 'Thought For The Week':
                  >
                  > "Forty per cent of adult pedestrians killed
                  > on UK roads had been drinking. More than
                  > a third were over the limit for driving."
                  > I.A.M, winter issue.

                  This is a red herring, as a) it is not illegal to walk while impaired
                  (how does the impaired person, who is abandoning his car, get to a taxi
                  or bus?) and b) it makes no reference to other factors that might have
                  contributed to the collision.

                  A severely impaired pedesrtians, usually, is very visibly so, which
                  makes him/her as "off'limits" to drivers as disable, elderly, and very
                  young pedestrians.

                  Chris Bradshaw
                  Ottawa