Great transportation website

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2001
      http://www.trainweb.com/mts/fmt/index.html

      My favorite quote off the main page is:

      "The root cause of difficulties for transit is the lack of a free-
      market for competing transportation. Returning to fundamental free
      market principles is the most effective way of helping transit. There
      are beneficial side effects, including cleaner air, less noise, and a
      safer city."

      The site goes on how to, basically, make all transport self-funded.
      It
      doesn't say anything in specific about making areas car-free, but I
      have a feeling that, by eliminating automobile subsidies, the
      increased
      price of auto use in urban areas will form car-free areas.

      The only problem? Gas would go up to something like $5 to $15 a
      gallon
      to cover costs of driving (a figure we frequently see).

      Now, is it just me, or are the majority of Americans determined to
      keep
      transportation just the way it is now? A candidate who proposes
      eliminating transportation subsidies or adding one cent to the price
      of
      gas *will not* be elected. Perhaps the lure of "lower taxes" might
      work...

      --matt
    • rauch@mit.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Matt Hohmeister" <mdh6214@g...> wrote:
        > The only problem? Gas would go up to something like $5 to $15 a
        > gallon
        > to cover costs of driving (a figure we frequently see).
        >
        > Now, is it just me, or are the majority of Americans determined to
        > keep
        > transportation just the way it is now? A candidate who proposes
        > eliminating transportation subsidies or adding one cent to the price
        > of
        > gas *will not* be elected. Perhaps the lure of "lower taxes" might
        > work...

        In Europe there have been several successful examples of tax shifting:
        A tax increase on a damaging activity is matched by an equal reduction
        in taxes on something productive like work. This would completely
        blunt the charge of increasing the tax burden.

        To keep it "revenue-neutral", you have to take into account that the
        tax increase will lead to a reduction in the damaging activity (which
        is of course what you want), but these complications can be dealt with.
      • Wilson, Jeff J
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
          A bit too libertarian for my tastes, but there are a lot of good ideas in
          there. However, the author seems to want to start with trying to get a city
          to adopt an ordinance to only use fees derived from autos and trucks to
          support transportation infrastructure. But it doesn't seem to me that a
          city has enough control over the fees that are or might be charged to car
          users to be able to use them to support all the ways that it currently
          subsidizes car travel (police enforcement, fire department & paramedics for
          traffic accidents, annual maintenance for roads, etc). I don't believe a
          city can charge a gas tax or impose a fee based on emissions during the
          bi-annual inspection (in California). And how does a city start charging
          for road usage? Does it require all out-of-towners to stop at the city
          limits and install a "tag"?

          I'd be interested in a discussion on how to gradually implement these ideas
          on a city, county, or statewide basis. For instance, I believe there is
          already going to be an intiative (in California) to limit the gas tax to be
          used on transit. However, I believe a lot of car lovers would love to, on
          libertarian principles, further limit it to roads only.