Interesting trip to Fes al Bali

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2001
      UPDATE: MEDIEVAL URBANISM IN FES, MOROCCO
      January 1-7, 2002 – A week-long study tour on medieval urban design

      As reported in last month’s bulletin, we’re off to Fes el-Bali, Morocco –
      the world’s largest urban car-free area, at least in terms of population.
      Fes is also, along with Cairo and Damascus, one of the top three largest
      medieval cities in the world, with a population of over 200,000 people.
      The city, founded in 789 AD, continues to function to this day with
      many of its medieval traditions intact. We will be continuing ongoing
      documentation on how Fes’ medieval, hypomobile urban design contributes to
      its viability as a car-free city, with neither public transportation nor
      cycling. (All trips are by foot, with transport of goods via donkey, and all
      destinations are within walking distance.) We will be photographing, researching,
      interviewing, touring and of course having plenty of fun. Following the
      visit, we plan to produce a slideshow and article promoting a revival of medieval
      urbanism elsewhere in the world. Anyone wishing to join in on the tour – and
      you are all welcome – should contact Randy Ghent at rghent@... as soon as
      possible. He will be leaving for Morocco in mid-December. We’re especially
      looking for a videographer, and a few more French speakers would be nice…

      contact Randy Ghent if interested:
      rghent@...

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities