RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Car free, or pedestrian and bicycle friendly ?

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2001
      My opinion on that is that true carfree cities or
      places are way ahead cities with cars, even if you
      can live carfree in the latter, because the main thing
      is to get rid of the stress, danger and pollution caused by the car use.
      Life quality is seriously compromised
      where there are too many cars, and where they are not
      driven properly even if they are fewer in number.

      The society has got to understand that it's not only
      destroying the planet with their cars, but their life
      quality and themselves as well.

      Not only wheelchairs users benefit more of elevators
      and slopes, than expensive lift to gas cars or car trailers.

      Just think about maintenance devices such as
      wheelbarrows, lawn mowers and snow blowers (I know they should be more
      electric or human powered than gas powered in our carfree city), and the
      variety of small to large carts or trailers used to pull or push loads.

      There's going to be a wide range of two, three or four-
      wheeled devices circulating around when cars will be dead. It's like
      reinventing the wheel, but the wheel is going to be powered by humans, at
      the speed of humans.

      So yes, access ramps and elevators leading to trains,
      metros, or other services, are way ahead devices to
      haul a wheeled device onto a gas vehicle.

      Hey, I convinced my father to push the lawnmower by hand on foot, directly
      to the lot of his second property, instead of putting it in the car to go
      there by car (what he used to do).

      Louis-Luc