Re: [carfree_cities] Inserting districts in existing cities

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2001
      Will Stewart said:

      >In promoting the car free concept in a local TOD design for a new
      >metro stop in an undeveloped greenfield, a couple of questions are
      >likely to come up and I'd like some ideas on how to handle them;
      >
      >1. Freight: Merchants (including a grocer such as a Safeway)will want
      >to be able to ensure their current sophisticated supply chain will
      >work, i.e., trucks with automated id tags on pallets/boxes unloading
      >at docks with to equipment to read these.
      >
      > Potential solution: Since freight can't be moved on the current
      >metro, and chain stores would balk at a complicated freight transfers,
      >let the trucks unload at bays in an underground tunnel, as is done at
      >most large US shopping malls. The tunnel might be 600 feet or more.
      >Ideas?

      The tunnel might be a solution for more than just the supermarket.
      Most or all large freight customers might make use of it. Since
      there's nothing existing on the site, it can be built by relatively
      cheap cut-and-cover techniques, with little or no falsework required.
      Alternatively, delivery trucks could be allowed between, say,
      8 AM and 11 AM.

      >2. Fire Trucks: What kind of fire trucks would service 6 story
      >buildings in the district core? How would they get in there?

      If the streets are kept wide enough, standard emergency vehicles
      can get through. The CNU folks have devoted some attention to the
      issue of required street widths, and I believe it has been
      demonstrated by actual test that 20 feet with parking on
      both sides is still wide enough. I'd suggest early consultation
      with the local fire dept., though. Don't forget that access to
      each doorstep is not normally required--there is a limit, I think
      typically 250 feet, to the nearest access point. Their hoses
      are long enough to reach the rest of the way without any problem.

      Hope this helps.

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com