Re: [carfree_cities] A new American City

  • John Dorman
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2001
      Toronto Rocks! :)

      On Thursday, October 18, 2001, at 04:52 PM, Bill Robb wrote:

      > --- jdoorman1@... wrote:
      >> Let's build a new city. I want to live in a city
      >> where i don't have to
      >> buy gas to get around.
      >
      > I want to jump on the train
      >> and get wisked
      >> away to the movie theater at night, and wisked to
      >> work in the
      >> morning.
      >
      > I live in a city where it is possible to live without
      > a car (and many people do). I have a downtown condo
      > without a parking spot. I have a driver's license but
      > don't own a car. The subway is two blocks away.
      > Commuter trains and VIA Rail trains are six blocks
      > away. I have a 24 hour super market a block away, and
      > the supermarket does not have any surface parking.
      > Theatres, stadiums and shopping are just a short walk
      > away.
      >
      > A streetcar line running every 2 minutes in rush hour
      > takes me to work and home again. And the streetcar
      > ride is the best part of my morning. There is a
      > parallel streetcar line four blocks north.
      >
      > The streets are walkable. Sidewalks are largely free
      > of curb cuts and free of drive throughs. Walking is
      > enjoyable, healthy and a great way to get around.
      >
      > I live in Toronto.
      >
      > Bill

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mark Jaroski
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2001
        I just found this, which may be of some interest.

        It's in German, but you can alwasy get the gist with
        babblefish.altavista.com:

        http://www.velojournal.ch

        Check out the lead story, which is about carfree cities in
        Italy.

        --
        -- mark at geekhive dot net
      • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2001
          Hi Bill,

          The unfortunate thing about Toronto (metropolitan that is) is that you are a
          minority amongst millions who struggle daily to make sense of their
          addiction to the car.

          I live in Ottawa, carfree.

          Cheers

          Pierre

          > Let's build a new city. I want to live in a city
          > where i don't have to
          > buy gas to get around.

          I want to jump on the train
          > and get wisked
          > away to the movie theater at night, and wisked to
          > work in the
          > morning.

          I live in a city where it is possible to live without
          a car (and many people do). I have a downtown condo
          without a parking spot. I have a driver's license but
          don't own a car. The subway is two blocks away.
          Commuter trains and VIA Rail trains are six blocks
          away. I have a 24 hour super market a block away, and
          the supermarket does not have any surface parking.
          Theatres, stadiums and shopping are just a short walk
          away.

          A streetcar line running every 2 minutes in rush hour
          takes me to work and home again. And the streetcar
          ride is the best part of my morning. There is a
          parallel streetcar line four blocks north.

          The streets are walkable. Sidewalks are largely free
          of curb cuts and free of drive throughs. Walking is
          enjoyable, healthy and a great way to get around.

          I live in Toronto.

          Bill

        • mr_poopoohead
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2001
            Hello all
            I'm in Ottawa too. Unfortunately not car free, but hopefully so in
            the near future.
            Rode the O train Tuesday.
            Glen

            --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Boileau,Pierre [NCR]"