Solar City of Pichling (Austria)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2001
      Hi All,

      I've recently come across a mention of the "Solar City of Pichling"
      in Austria. It's a large sustainable urban village with cars not
      allowed on the streets, I gather.

      Does anybody know anything about it?

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • rauch@mit.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2001
        "Solar City Pichling" is taking shape in the Austrian city of Linz.
        It will have 1317 dwellings in an area of 32 hectares. Construction
        has been underway for two years and will be finished in 2005.
        There is a web site in English at
        http://solarcity.linz.at/eng/frameset.html .

        A map of one of the districts is at
        http://solarcity.linz.at/de/staedtebau/bauplan.html .
        The master plan map at
        http://solarcity.linz.at/de/staedtebau/master.html resembles part of
        a diagram in the Carfree Cities book, with districts centered on a
        light rail stop, and a boulevard connecting them.

        On the topic of cars, the site says "within the settlement, maximum
        priority shall be given to pedestrian and cycle traffic"
        and "individual motorised traffic will be parked in collective car
        parks", which suggests that cars are prohibited from most of the area
        of the settlement, though I wasn't able to find anything more
        definitive.

        They have a page on "virtual reality as a planning and communication
        instrument":
        http://solarcity.linz.at/de/staedtebau/vrplanung.html

        Some miscellaneous news from Germany:

        Detailed information on Gartensiedlung Weissenburg, a 184 apartment
        carfree development which has been under construction for the past
        year in Muenster, is now available, including maps and models:
        http://www.muenster.org/vwende/weissenburg.html
        I think this kind of small development will soon be routine.

        Autofreie Solarsiedlung Karlsruhe is looking to turn part of a former
        army base in the southern city of Karlsruhe into a Carfree Solar
        Settlement. http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~gh03/aska/neues_flugi.html