Downtown "getdown"

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2001
      http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/content/tallahassee/2001/09/08/
      local/0908.loc.downtown.htm

      The City of Tallahassee occasionally hosts "downtown getdown" events,
      where a number of downtown streets are closed. Look at the picture in
      the above article--that picture is almost *exactly* what one might
      picture Carfree looking like.

      Of course, once the "getdown" event is over, the streets are re-opened
      to the terror we call traffic. The children go, and the activity on the
      sidewalks vanishes. Even during the event, traffic light arms loom
      overhead, showing impending doom.

      Ironic parts: there are (by law) no residences visible in the picture
      in the above story, save the high-rise hotel in the background. And see
      the pink high-rise in the foreground? The first half of it is nothing
      but parking garage.

      Just thought I'd like to share some thoughts about "downtown".

      --matt