RE: [carfree_cities] traffic safety -- risk taking - pondering "language"

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2001
      > My own motivation for cycling has changed over time. Originally, I was
      > doing it to be 'environmental' and for my own health. But since my
      > accident, I've been doing it to raise awareness that cyclists are on the
      > road (in true Canadian bull-headed fashion).

      My motivations have followed yours throughout the years,
      too. Now I promote walking and cycling to impose our presence on the roads
      and require car users to accept the fact we are there and have the right to
      stay there.

      I walk with a sharp stick held horizontally to defend my rights on places
      with more cars than pedestrians, I cycle towards the middle of the street
      when it is too narrow to safely share with a car. I'm the most courteous I
      can with other pedestrians and cyclists (I yield while cycling and the stick
      becomes a third leg when walking). I let any road users (including
      motorists) take their right of way when the rules tell us so.

      If more human-scaled road users ask their rights, and impose them like I
      sometimes do, then life should be much better. I'm sure it's more required
      in places called "dangerous" because of hostile car traffic.

      Yes, cyclists are traffic, we ride vehicles.

      Louis-Luc