Carfree proposal to Cambridge City Council

  • rauch@mit.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2001
      I presented the case for a carfree neighborhood in Cambridge to the
      city council. They are people who appreciate human scale in planning,
      but have not considered car-free.

      I set up a web site that contains the presentation:
      http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rauch/northpoint . It's much changed from
      the site I put up a few days ago. It has a drawing of a carfree
      district in the site, but I made it by copying part of Joel Crawford's
      reference district and adjusting it to the shape of the site. It's
      just there to show the scale of buildings and streets. We should make
      a detailed one - let me know if you want to help. The site also lists
      other ways to help.

      The landowner's development company also presented their proposal. It
      is actually not all that bad. It has 5-8 story buildings (probably
      closer to 8 though), with some taller ones at the edge and near the
      light rail stop. It has garages at the northern edge; the parking
      assumes car use slightly higher than the relatively low car use in
      Cambridge.

      I spoke with a representative of the development company chosen by the
      landowner, who seemed intrigued. He said he personally was a fan of
      the Dutch/German woonerf idea. He is interested in bringing a bike
      path through the neighborhood - the Minuteman bike path, which is
      extremely popular and runs from the northwest, from the town of
      Lexington; it now ends a few miles away, but will be extended into the
      area. In a carfree neighborhood, this could become a boulevard like in
      the reference district.