Cyborg City Concepts

  • Ian McMaster
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2001
      Hi All,

      I have been asked what is a Cyborg City as a concept or theory. My current ongoing research provides the following sketchy vision.

      Cities of the past were built using the materials close at hand and, as such, an extension of nature.Today's Metropolis or city is increasingly built from materials uprooted from their place of origin and transported great distances to the final construction site. Such displacement is only a prelude to the invention and use of materials that do no exist in nature - steel, plastics, special ceramics, special patterns of scanning, corridors of microwave radiation, and various forms of virtual reality. The body of the Metropolis continues to be transformed by its materials into an organism existing in nature, yet grafted onto it, and becoming more and more separate from it.

      'The latest in the theory of sustainable urban development suggests that cities should indeed be viewed as organisms, with their metabolism integrated with the surrounding ecosystem. The latest in design theory suggests that architecture, and technology in general, are moving towards artificially intelligent and ecologically benign solutions.

      Cities of the 21st century will be neither machines, nor organisms, They will be ecologically friendly cyborgs. The urban eco-cyborg idea implies not only the mix of the electronic (digital) with the organic (biological), but also a peculiar mix of high-tech with low-tech'. A quote from a paper which identifies the basic concept.

      This is my area of interest and I hope could also interest other members of this group.

      Regards

      Ian McMaster