Portland Streetcar News

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2001
      ard.xsl?/base/news/999604509147339.xml Dawson

      The Oregonian

      Streetcar's numbers surprise

      and SCOTT LEARN

      After six weeks of operation, the new Portland Streetcar is destroying
      projected ridership numbers. And officials are still waiting for a morning
      rush hour.

      Rick Gustafson, the system's chief operations officer, said a "simple
      analysis" in 1996 projected the system would average 2,700 passengers a
      day; Gustafson expected 4,700 riders. But operators are reporting
      between 6,000 and 8,000 a day, even before Portland State University
      starts fall classes -- and with six stops not yet open.

      "I guess we qualify as a circulator system," said Gustafson,. "We see a
      reasonable but not significant amount of commuter travel."

      Ridership isn't the only thing that makes the system appear to be a
      success -- at least so far.

      The trains are getting good reviews from many who work near the line or
      use the system. Still, some have doubts. A few business people in the
      Pearl District see the line as little more than a novelty or say it has hurt
      them by taking away valuable parking spots.

      Others, however, are reacting like Greg Hermens, co-owner of the Nob Hill
      Bar and Grill at Northwest 23rd Avenue and Lovejoy Street.

      "We're definitely seeing the people and we're getting a percentage of
      them; it's been a boost for sure," he said. "We get bunches of 10 to 30
      people getting off at the stop, especially on weekends. You get one or two
      of those every 20 to 30 minutes and it kind of adds up."

      Portland Streetcar is a 4.7-mile, L-shaped loop that opened July 20. The
      tracks circle Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital in Northwest Portland, go
      east to the Pearl District before turning south to downtown and Portland
      State University. The $56.9 million system uses five streamlined
      streetcars made by Skoda in the Czech Republic.

      Still, a few weeks is not much of a trial for an all-new system, Gustafson
      said, especially when every minute is spent worrying about basics. "We
      hope to spend the next 12 months upgrading customer amenities."

      Topping the wish list: Discarding the schedule.

      That goes along with hopes to install a $200,000 satellite positioning
      system on each car, and an electronic message board in each passenger
      shelter. That board would tell waiting passengers how many minutes until
      the next car, or if an accident has blocked the rails. "With that system in
      place, we could supplement the service and not worry about messing up
      the schedule," he said.

      Gustafson also wants to add more cars, but that cannot happen until next
      July, when the sixth and seventh streetcars are due. Originally they were
      to be built with three cars for Tacoma, with delivery due Dec. 31, but there
      was a problem with the order.

      The route is served today by four new cars on weekdays, and on
      weekends by three new cars and a Vintage Trolley. At least one of the
      new cars is being serviced each day. With four streetcars, service
      frequency is 15 minutes. The whole loop takes one hour.

      On a typical midmorning, most streetcars have a few vacant seats. But
      the passenger count starts to climb about 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and
      late-afternoon cars are often packed. Typically, most riders go about a
      mile, some to work, some sightseeing.

      As for what will happen when classes resume at PSU, Gustafson's
      response is simple: "You tell me."

      Also, there are glitches to be worked out.

      The on-board ticket machines seem to confuse people and on a recent
      trip, the dispenser was never touched. That was true even in far
      northwestern point on the route, outside of Fareless Square.

      Still, Gustafson -- who plans to install a dollar-changer and a new kind of
      ticket machine on each car -- says higher-than-expected revenues have
      amazed him, although he did not say how much money has been

      Another problem is the night glare from the passenger compartment. "For
      the operators, the glare ruins their night vision. It's like driving a car
      the dome light on."

      Also, during the initial weeks, the cars were plagued by air conditioners
      that weren't handling the load, and software that was incorrectly signaling
      that the doors were open.

      One accident only One of the biggest expected troubles -- streetcars
      sharing traffic lanes with cars -- hasn't been much of a problem. Only one
      minor streetcar vs. car accident has been reported so far -- it happened
      Friday. And concerns about parked cars blocking streetcars haven't
      proven out, either. "I have received just one tow company order,"
      Gustafson said.

      Riders generally give the streetcar a thumbs up. Paul and Melody Bycroft
      and their 16-year-old son, Ben, visited recently from Salem and hopped on
      the streetcar to browse Northwest 23rd Avenue.

      "I think it's a great idea," Melody Bycroft said. "We aren't spending our
      time looking for parking spaces or trying to figure out the one-ways."

      Rachel Bandock rides the car from her home near PSU to a job as clerk
      at a Northwest 23rd Avenue bookstore.

      "It's just a little bit smoother ride than the bus -- on the bus you start
      stop a lot," Bandock said. "And at 5 o'clock (in the evening) it beats the
      bus because you don't have to go through as many stop lights."

      Not all businesses thrive But whether the system is a boon to business
      may depend on location.

      Businesses in the rapidly changing Pearl District lost parking spaces to
      make way for the line, and they worry about getting priced out as building
      owners conclude the streetcar has added value to their leases.

      Robert Swortfiguer owns Doma, a specialty furniture and decorations store
      just north of Powell's Books on Northwest 10th Avenue. A stop is just
      down the street, but "we're not seeing any more sales, zero," he said.

      "There are people looking around and taking the streetcar because it's still
      sort of a novelty," he said.

      Lance Howard, president of Captain's Nautical Supply, moved from a spot
      on the line to a nearby site with a parking lot and more space. He was
      facing a sharp rent increase as a lease expired.

      "When you come in from Lake Oswego and you need a chart or a global
      positioning system, you're not going to take the streetcar to get here,"
      Howard said.

      But others seem more excited. Paula Troyer, marketing manager for
      BridgePort Brew Pub, said the streetcar "has been amazing for all
      businesses along the line. . . . You can be sitting outdoors, hear the
      trolley's little bell, and a few seconds later a new group of people will

      At Jake's Grill, with a streetcar stop across the street, manager Jeff
      Crowbarger said business has been up, but he hesitates to credit it all to
      the streetcar because the convention business has been booming. Then
      he confessed -- "I live downtown and I take the streetcar at least three
      times a week. God, I love that little train."

      You can reach Bill Stewart at 503-294-7670 or by e-mail at

      You can reach Bill Stewart at 503-294-7670 or by e-mail at