Carfree at Bath University UK

  • Richard Moseley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
      As of September the University of Bath UK is banning students from bringing
      their cars to the university if they live in the town or on the campus
      itself...it will be interesting to see how much difference this has on the
      city as the student population is about 10% of the total population and also
      what differences this will make in the future....with students having to
      live for 3 years without a car maybe they will start to see the advantages
      of living without...hopefully the university will be able to provide
      alternatives to make sure that the rule is enforces and not just a temporary
      initiative.

      Rich

    • John O. Andersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
        This sounds like a great idea. I've long since felt that cars at university
        must be a major distraction from studies.

        Thing is, here in the States, the average university student is far less
        academically capable than students in England. Over there, they send a
        significantly lower percentage of people to college.

        Here, what we call "university" is really, in many cases, just a glorified
        tech school. So I'm not surprised at how much emphasis is placed on things
        other than scholarship (cars, stereos, shopping, etc.). The vast majority
        of our college students aren't scholars, and never will be.

        John Andersen
        Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com