Re: [carfree_cities] Re: urbancyclist-uk: Anti-car moveslaunched across country

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2001
      Thanks Roy.

      It's funny but only a fortnight earlier I had actually got out my metaphoric
      tape measure and calculator and worked my way through an Observer colour
      supplement and an eyeful of the scale of car advertising it carried. The
      amount this industry is having to spend on marketing is almost reassuring.
      If we really needed the things would we need so much persuasion?

      I'm really enjoying reading Rebecca Solnit's (2001) "Wanderlust: A History
      of Walking". She writes beautifully and thinks acutely, helping to lay out
      the infrastructure of ideas basic to the restoration of place and
      rediscovered access to senses of time and space destroyed by the
      individualised pace of the car. She only mentions these in passing but the
      critique is deeply implicit. I must thank Joel for pointing this series of
      essays my way.

      Best wishes

      Simon

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2001
        > If we really needed the things would we need so much persuasion?

        True. I've never been persuaded to buy something because it's advertised. On
        the contrary, if it's so much advertised, then I feel too many people will
        acquire it, then I don't need it. It's the case with cell phones. I have
        none (and save charges), simply because I can reach everyone around me, who
        has one, at any time, by dropping a quarter in the public phone. I don't
        have to worry about weak battery... Instead I like to increase my good'old
        vinyl record collection, which are never advertised, because no one around
        me has any, and I can share the output with them when they visit me. I even
        told someone it's impossible to do better output, even if you buy a $20,000
        worth CD player: a car, since it's wiser to get the same results with a $50
        portable unit you can at least carry with you anywhere.

        > I'm really enjoying reading Rebecca Solnit's (2001) "Wanderlust: A History
        > of Walking". She writes beautifully and thinks acutely, helping to lay out
        > the infrastructure of ideas basic to the restoration of place and
        > rediscovered access to senses of time and space destroyed by the
        > individualised pace of the car. She only mentions these in passing but the
        > critique is deeply implicit. I must thank Joel for pointing this series of
        > essays my way.

        Sometimes I do think imagination helps to revive my sour feelings
        of the present corrupt society. It hurts the soul simply thinking
        the car is upsetting the planetar ecosystem, ruining the life quality and
        reducing mobility in many cities. If you go outdoors, you see cars, you hear
        cars, you smell cars, and they create a hostile and stressful atmosphere
        when you decide to use the road. I've just lost a night train on the weekday
        timetable, because it's not used enough, and it's not used enough because
        too many people have been sucked into the car culture over the years? Yuck!
        I feel I'm in that train on the right track with some other survivors,
        watching the rest sinking, unable to help them realise. I feel sour because
        the society is too blind to see that it's getting into trouble with the car
        culture.

        I prefer to let my imagination walk myself for miles under the moonlight on
        a quiet road chatting with friends, until I have the opportunity to do so
        for real.

        Louis-Luc
      • Roy Preston
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2001
          >I'm really enjoying reading
          >Rebecca Solnit's (2001)
          >"Wanderlust: A History
          >of Walking". She writes beautifully

          Arrived this morning, Simon. Beautiful cover, but I can't say I'm looking
          forward to *reading* it. The type is set in Weiss, which doesn't look at
          all appealing.

          Roy P(edant;-)