Walking in the rain

  • cjb121@york.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2001
      Heavy rain, snow and particularly hail stones are all going to cause
      problems in a carfree city. It's not too bad if the weather is bad
      before you leave your house as you have the opportunity to put on
      your coat, pick up your umbrella etc. It can be much worse if the
      weather changes on your way home.

      At my old university (York) the main walkways are all covered, with
      each small roof supported by metal posts. Although they're not
      pretty, they are a welcome relief if it's raining heavy. With a
      little more effort, surrounding them with trees for example, I'm sure
      they could be made much more attractive.
    • dearleb@home.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2001
        --- In carfree_cities@y..., cjb121@y... wrote:
        > Heavy rain, snow and particularly hail stones are all going to
        cause
        > problems in a carfree city. It's not too bad if the weather is bad
        > before you leave your house as you have the opportunity to put on
        > your coat, pick up your umbrella etc. It can be much worse if the
        > weather changes on your way home.
        >
        > At my old university (York) the main walkways are all covered, with
        > each small roof supported by metal posts. Although they're not
        > pretty, they are a welcome relief if it's raining heavy. With a
        > little more effort, surrounding them with trees for example, I'm
        sure
        > they could be made much more attractive.

        One can look to other existing pedestrian areas in rainy places. For
        example, in the car-free central area of Santiago de Compostela in
        (very rainy) northwest Spain, many of the buildings have elegant
        covered walkways as an integral part of the structure. Other examples
        include the main street in Bern, Switzerland, which while not carfree
        can get nastier weather than Spain, including I'm sure hail. The
        shophouses of southeast Asia can also provide completely covered
        walkways to evade those daily tropical downpours (though these days
        they are often blocked by motorcycles and such).