RE: [carfree_cities] neoliberalism (was Re: Digest Number 460)

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
      Guy Berliner wrote:
      >Oy vey. You're right, Ronald. There's a very heavy ideological axe to
      >grind inside these arguments. Sometimes I wonder whether it even makes
      >sense to waste breath on people like Cox. But it does, not because I think
      >they're amenable to counterarguments, but because we have to publicly
      >challenge the pernicious ideology they espouse, which has devastating,
      >globe-spanning consequences. Essentially, it's an argument for privatizing
      >all public services and running them on profit lines. You could easily
      >replace "public transit" with "water," for example. Why should those who
      >can afford to install their own reverse osmosis filters help pay for clean
      >public drinking water, instead of leaving it to "those who want to or
      >need to use it"? It's clear what the proponents of this philosophy have
      >in mind: maximizing the benefits to the already privileged, those who
      >have expropriated most of the planet's wealth for themselves, while
      >making the rest buy their subsistence at the "company store."

      Well, so much for the idea of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
      Also here is an other mind set example that I've seen. Dawson

      <Molestation, intimidation, vulgarity, obnoxious behavior are the
      earmark of mass transit. Police can not protect women riding or
      leaving the trains and being followed or accosted by hoodlums.
      Give me road rage any time. At least the bastards had enough money to
      own or steal a car and they do not know if I have a gun under my seat.>
    • Oliver Hayden
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
        > Well, so much for the idea of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
        > Also here is an other mind set example that I've seen. Dawson
        >
        > <Molestation, intimidation, vulgarity, obnoxious behavior are the
        > earmark of mass transit. Police can not protect women riding or
        > leaving the trains and being followed or accosted by hoodlums.
        > Give me road rage any time. At least the bastards had enough money to
        > own or steal a car and they do not know if I have a gun under my seat.>

        Gee, I always think to myself that if I'm going to get mugged, I'd like it
        to be by someone with enough money to afford their own car!
      • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          Wow Ronald,

          Who wrote this?

          <Molestation, intimidation, vulgarity, obnoxious behavior are the
          earmark of mass transit. Police can not protect women riding or
          leaving the trains and being followed or accosted by hoodlums.
          Give me road rage any time. At least the bastards had enough money to
          own or steal a car and they do not know if I have a gun under my seat.>

          It sounds like they were at war long before the tragic events of Sept. 11th.

          Pierre.